Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Hello from Lillehammer!

I just want to say hello to you all as a new member of this forum. I am norvegian living in the city of Lillehammer. This spring i bought a used Pentax KS-2 and a used Pentax 18-135 zoom. So far it has been a good combination for outdoor photographing in daylight. Last week I got a new lense, a SMC DA 35/2.4, from my local photoshop. I bought it after reading several recommendations in this forum. My goal is to develop as a photografher.

I have a question for you. Will the 35/2.4 prime lense be fast enough to take good indoor/outdoor shots in dark evenings and nights without using a flash? In the wintertime it is dark a lot of the daytime here in Lillehammer, and I am looking for a lense that can help me.

And last, I have to excuse my english writing, it is not my native language.

Best regards
Alexander Nordby

08-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your English is fine, and this is probably a great place to practice.

The 35 f2.4 is fairly fast. You will have to go to something like the Sigma 28 or 30mm f1.8 to get faster at that focal range. Of course there are plenty of M or A series 50mm f1.4 lenses out there you might enjoy playing with as well. Practice is the only way to get good at low-light photography. If you can use a tripod, it's best, but for portability you can also just use a beanbag which you can place anywhere. Handheld the cameras are good, too, but you'll need to learn the trade-off between shutter speed and ISO.

The great thing about digital is you can take plenty of shots. Also remember these sensors capture a lot of information even if the image looks dark. Shoot RAW and process in a program like Lightroom and you'll be amazed what you see. It's better to underexpose with modern sensors than overexpose.
08-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hei Alexander, en Oslo-boer hilser

What is "fast enough" depends on a lot of things. How long shutter time can you use (both how steady your hands are and how still the subject is)? How high ISO is acceptable in any given situation?

The 35/2.4 is faster than the 18-135, but not by that much. It might be enough, though. Say, if you have to use ISO 6400 to get a blur-free picture with the zoom, you might get away with 3200 or maybe even 1600 with the 35. Sometimes, though, there is no other way than using s flash or a tripod.

That said, the KS-2 is very good at high ISO, and cleans up quite well with a good photo editor.

I find the 35 to be good for use indoors if the room isn't too small.
08-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for giving me som advise. I looking forward to practice with the prime lense.

Alexander

08-04-2015, 04:10 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there are a few folk now from your part of the world here on the forum, so you will not be lonely.
08-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
And here is one of them.
Velkommen hit.
Hvis du er på Facebook må du bli med i gruppa Pentaxianere i Norge. En utrolig trivelig gjeng.