Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

New guy looking to relive my youth

Hi there,
Been lurking for a while but thought I would share my story.
My dad and I had a makeshift darkroom when I was a kid and I became I guess what you would call an advanced amateur. I used my dad's Kodak Retina IIIc, various other cameras, and we did quite a bit of 8mm movie making. We even had the editing equipment. I also had some special effects kits. This continued through high school with photography club and then in 1979, my first year of college, I saved up and bought a Pentax MX. I loved this camera.
One of my part time jobs was in a Fotomat camera store (not the Hut!) where we got deep discounts which enabled me to build a complete kit which carried me for several years. At one point I really considered photography as a career but I got the IT bug and have been on that path ever since.

And now for the sad part of my story - In the span of a few years I had my equipment stolen, I got married, moved several times, and had a few kids. As often happens time races by and I slid into many years of P&S and hi8 video.

Which brings us to current times - Kids are grown and I started frequenting garage sales and buying and reselling film cameras. I actually found a rare one that netted me about 16x profit. I almost bought a used MX figuring I would start where I left off but realized the cost of film and a darkroom didn't really make sense.

Sooooo..... here I sit anxiously waiting for my K50 to arrive tomorrow so that I can begin once again.

I look forward to meeting more of you and learning from you as I finally delve into the world of digital.

Thanks for listening and have a great evening.

08-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums.. Enjoy the K-50 when you get it. there are several here that shoot both Film and digital
08-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from a guy who started decades ago with an Ansco box camera, used a university's Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic 4x5, bought a Pentax H1a and later an SP500, moved to digital with a K100D and happily uses a K-x.
08-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Hi Joe and welcome aboard the best photography forum on the web !

A great little story you present here.

Your story sure hit it home for me when you mentioned "1979" and college years ! .... and the Pentax MX .... and the darkroom (I would have no idea on how to process film nowadays).
Actually, just to rub it in a bit, I think I might have beat you to it by a couple of years since my very first film camera was a K"something" at least 3 years ahead of the MX.

You will likely enjoy the K50 from what I read on this forum.

Looking forward to see some pics!

Cheers!

08-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joebarfly Quote
Hi there,
My dad and I had a makeshift darkroom when I was a kid and I became I guess what you would call an advanced amateur. I used my dad's Kodak Retina IIIc, various other cameras, and we did quite a bit of 8mm movie making. We even had the editing equipment. I also had some special effects kits. This continued through high school with photography club and then in 1979, my first year of college, I saved up and bought a Pentax MX. I loved this camera.
One of my part time jobs was in a Fotomat camera store (not the Hut!) where we got deep discounts which enabled me to build a complete kit which carried me for several years. At one point I really considered photography as a career but I got the IT bug and have been on that path ever since.

And now for the sad part of my story - In the span of a few years I had my equipment stolen, I got married, moved several times, and had a few kids. As often happens time races by and I slid into many years of P&S and hi8 video.

Which brings us to current times - Kids are grown and I started frequenting garage sales and buying and reselling film cameras. I actually found a rare one that netted me about 16x profit. I almost bought a used MX figuring I would start where I left off but realized the cost of film and a darkroom didn't really make sense.

Sooooo..... here I sit anxiously waiting for my K50 to arrive tomorrow so that I can begin once again.

I look forward to meeting more of you and learning from you as I finally delve into the world of digital.

Welcome Joe, you already know how great this Forum is so keep posting and have a ball. I started back in 1968 with an Yashicaflex and moved on to a complete Spotmatic system. Aside from all the darn settings and options on these modern DSLR's the hardest thing for me to adjust to is the fact that I can go out and shoot 600 frames or more instead of carefully setting up for 12, 24 or 36 shots... ;-)
Bob
08-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #6

Hello from a Photography newbie! Joined the forums not too long ago myself and from the experience I have had I have loved it!! One of thing that surprised me the most was the amount of editing you could do to RAW images in digital. It's incredible!!!! Enjoy digging around the forums and buying/trading with other Pentaxians.
08-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi there,

Hi Joe,

Welcome, you'll love the K-50 it was my introduction to Pentax as well as DSLRs. I now have as K-3 as well as the K-50 and both are great cameras.

Larry
08-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

You will love it.

Film era lenses work very well, and modern lenses as well. Best of both worlds. The only gotcha is that manual focus can be a bear. Use LiveView and enlarge it and enable focus confirmation and you may find that's enough. Autofocus is pretty good but could be better. Enjoy!

08-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Good to have you here. In similar circumstances, after getting my K5, I found myself attracted back into the film world, so don't be surprised if the yearning for an MX or Retina comes back.
08-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!

I think a lot of us were attracted to Pentax for the ease of manual control. The camera is built for that - you'll find you can control all the parameters by feel.
Normally I use TAv and just control the two most important variables, shutter speed and aperture. It's kind of backwards from film since you're allowing the ISO to float.

Get a good image processing suite and your darkroom addiction will mostly be satisfied. I use Lightroom 4, it does a lot.

Oh, and wait until you try the better vintage lenses, like an M or A50 f1.4 and see how much the images look like film images...
08-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the laugh. Your sad story has so many happy things. Yet the photography aspects is sad. Enjoy the new Frontier of photography.
08-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
looking to relive my youth
Welcome to the forum, I'd like to do that anyway... and with no camera kit required.
08-07-2015, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm Welcomes everyone. I got my K50 last night and have the next week off of work so I'll be back with some photos very soon.
08-07-2015, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Enjoy your K50, but buy an MX too. There's really nothing like film.

There's a small but active group of Pentax film camera users here,
plus a terrific repairman who can make an old MX work like new.

Welcome and see you in the forums!

Chris
08-07-2015, 05:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Enjoy your K50, but buy an MX too. There's really nothing like film
Amen!

Don't give up on film. At the very least, you could shoot black and white film, process that yourself (very little investment and effort involved), and then scan the negatives -- until such a point that you decide you really need to go all the way and build out a little darkroom and start printing, etc., etc. . . .

Regardless - welcome and enjoy your K50 !