Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Pentax cameras

Hi,
I'm from Australia and have been a Pentax user since my early 20's. My father gave me an early model Pentax with a clip on light meter (SV2) which I used until my early 40's. I had to upgrade to an MZ50 which had auto focus, my eyes were not good enough for a manual focus camera. Recently I entered the digital world and purchased a K100d, which I used for a few years, had problems with dust on the sensor. I cleaned the sensor myself, took a lot of effort to get rid of all the dust particles, after cleaning the sensor the camera went like a dream, very good results. I purchased a K7 last year, combined with a Tamron 18-200 zoom is giving me good results. Because of the dust problem with digital sensors I've decided to buy a K20 and use a Tokina 80-400mm zoom with that for birds & wild life. The lenses will remain permanently on each respective camera.
I've just been looking at the reviews for the Tokina lenses. Any information on them would be appreciated.
Regards,
P.J.L.

08-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are not aware of/haven't tried it--the large Giotto air jet does an excellent job of clearing dust. Maybe I am lucky (and i likely never switch lenses in a very dusty setting) but I have not had a problem/not needed to clean sensor on any of my 4 Pentax's after a number of years.
08-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As above, a Rocket Blower takes care of 99% of sensor dust, and post processing removes the rest. Newer Pentax bodies can be set up to do a dust removal cycle whenever you turn the camera on or off.
Don't worry about it.
08-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Cheaper zooms are surprisingly effective as pumps
for sucking dust in to your camera,
even if you leave them attached all the time.

But the previous posters have given good advice
on removing any dust that does happen to accumulate.

08-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used physical sensor cleaning just twice on the K10D I bought in November of 2007. I have the sensor shake turned on for every time I turn the camera on. I always turn the camera off when changing lenses because when the sensor is charged up it attracts dust with static electricity, and try very hard to keep the camera mount facing down when changing lenses. I use the biggest Giotto blower "just because" from time to time because I don't want to wait until I see the images before cleaning the sensor.
08-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I never use sensor shake, as I find it sometimes shakes around enough to put dust that was already in the mirror box onto other things like the sensor and viewfinder. I just make sure the lens I uncap that is going to be put on is clean, point the camera down, remove lens already attached, set next to lens to be put on, grab lens to be put on, attach it, and there was only 2-3 seconds for any dust to have a chance to get in. It also helps to have your back towards any breeze or wind. I swap lenses a lot and recently took a photo of the sky at f22 to find no new dust spots that weren't already there when I bought my camera used.
08-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I never use sensor shake, as I find it sometimes shakes around enough to put dust that was already in the mirror box onto other things like the sensor and viewfinder. I just make sure the lens I uncap that is going to be put on is clean, point the camera down, remove lens already attached, set next to lens to be put on, grab lens to be put on, attach it, and there was only 2-3 seconds for any dust to have a chance to get in. It also helps to have your back towards any breeze or wind. I swap lenses a lot and recently took a photo of the sky at f22 to find no new dust spots that weren't already there when I bought my camera used.
I'm a bit confused since the Mirror box is walled off from the sensor by the shutter how this could have ever stirred dust up to land on the sensor.
08-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have the sensor shake turned on for every time I turn the camera on
Same here, with my K10D's.

08-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm a bit confused since the Mirror box is walled off from the sensor by the shutter how this could have ever stirred dust up to land on the sensor.
I'm not exactly sure either, but my hypothesis is that dust got flicked off sensor onto back of shutter, shutter later got activated and launched the dust into mirror box? Or dust that was already near the sensor got pulled onto it after shaken. Either way, I have had more luck not using sensor shake than using it lol.
08-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Either way, I have had more luck not using sensor shake than using it.
I use sensor shake with the lens removed, and the camera pointing down.
AFAIK, the mirror is raised and the shutter open during sensor shake,
so if gravity is doing its job, the dust should fall out through the lens mount.
Of course, you occasionally get stubborn or evil dust particles
which refuse to obey the law of gravity!
08-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Dust is very light and floats in tiny currents in the air. Also I dont think the shutter opens during sensor shake.
08-09-2015, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, you may find one or two other Aussies kicking about in here too.
08-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
08-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #14

Original Poster
P.J.L.

Hi,
I wish to thank you all for your advice. After reading all of your comments and having cleaned the sensor on the K100D myself, I've decided to leave well enough alone. There is just one very small spot on my K20D and I was about to run the sensor cleaner so I won't do that until I absolutely need to. The K7 is clear at the moment so it's OK.
My problems originally occurred about four years ago when I was on Holidays and I dropped the camera (K100) onto the back seat of the car and it rolled. Didn't damage the camera, but dust went all over the sensor, which affected the images.
Cheers,
P.J.L.
« Hello | Hello »