Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 05:49 AM   #1

Hello world!

I have been a long time lurker here, but now I'd like to change things up a bit

I used to have a K5. But since I was an idiot, I sold it to get the X-Pro1. It did not last a month with me, and now, I got the chance to get a K5iis. And I'm staying.

Some favorite shots of mine using the old K5:

08-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! Yes, a DSLR has distinct advantages.
08-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome.

I had a X-Pro1 for a while. I really liked the Fuji lenses. Much smaller than the DSLR lenses and really good too. But the XP1 suffered from too slow of focus speed for me ( as well as a K5 too) and a film rangefinder style camera does not convert well ( as implemented by Fuji) to a digital version with all the buttons they have on the back that get in the way of holding it.

I have a Fuji GSW690III film rangefinder that they apparently tried to make the XP1 look like. But the GSW690III only has a couple of buttons on it and none to get in the way of holding it.

Last edited by tuco; 08-13-2015 at 08:23 AM.
08-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard! Yes, a DSLR has distinct advantages.
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Welcome.

I had a X-Pro1 for a while. I really liked the Fuji lenses. Much smaller than the DSLR lenses and really good too. But the XP1 suffered from too slow of focus speed for me and a film rangefinder style camera does not convert well ( as implemented by Fuji) to a digital version with all the buttons they have on the back that get in the way of holding it.

I have a Fuji GSW690III film rangefinder that they apparently tried to make the XP1 look like. But the GSW690III only has a couple of buttons on it and none to get in the way of holding it.
Thanks!

I'd like to add -- I don't really like the focus-by-wire Fuji lenses (which are also present in majority of m43 lenses) -- if electronics fail, you are doomed. In SLR lenses, like the DAs and the Limiteds, at the very least you can still focus manually/mechanically as a fallback.

08-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

What if the electronics of the camera body fails how good does manual focus help you now. So, you can't really put that in the plus column of your check list because there are so many avenues for digital cameras to fail and to selectively pick just the electronics in the lens is fishing for reasons to justify things, IMHO.
08-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and I guess welcome back to Pentax.