Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

My first camera

Hello everyone !

I got a ks-1 as a gift and it is my first ever camera, so i am very excited. There is a lot that i don't yet understand, but i am looking forward to learning : )

Thanks, Seb

08-13-2015, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse! You'll have fun learning your new camera.
08-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky you! And welcome to the forum.

My first ever camera was an Agfa Clack in 1958.
Agfa Clack - Camerapedia

Wheras the lens was not color corrected, I tried it once or twice with color negative film (in Germany of 1958, color shooting was terribly expensive for an 11 year old). Results were decent, as the prints were usually only so slghtly enlarged (60x90mm --> 70x100mm).

Now you'll have a lot to learn.

Myself I became addicted to photography when a neighbour gave me several years of Leica Photographie (I think this was the name of the magazine), instead of throwing them away. So I persuaded my parents to make me an Agfa Silette II a Christmas present in 1962.
Agfa Silette II - Camerapedia

In the seventies, I made it a birthday present to my sister.
When she moved to Pentax SLRs in the eighties (following me, so she could use lenses I did not need anymore), she returned the Agfa Silette II.

I think both cameras are still somewhere hidden in a cabinet in my home.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-14-2015 at 08:02 AM.
08-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the lovely welcome ! What little i know about cameras, i know even much less about cameras of the past. Other than what i read in Roal dahl's Autobiography which mentions the great complexity with which they had to be operated. I suppose what was once a primarily visible artform (with film, and plates and what not) has become a more 'hidden' (due to great advances in technology), though no less complex : )

i am still getting to terms with the most basic principles, such as shutter speed.! Through experimenting i have come to learn that a tripod is somewhat necessary.

08-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sabbalonn Quote
I got a ks-1 as a gift
Welcome to the forum, a fine gift, if the giver feels the urge to give away more... I'm available to receive.