Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

I'm back

It's been a couple of years since I've been active on these forums as life has taken some twists and turns lately. But now things are becoming more settled so I'm ready to start looking at it through a viewfinder again. I just snagged another Pentax DSLR body online last night. It's a navy blue K-X. Paid only $114 with free shipping. It's just the body with no lens. It'll arrive early next week, USPS willing, and I'm looking forward to taking it out for a few shots.

08-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back to the fold...
08-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back! I'm glad that you're now able to start seeing the world thru a viewfinder again. We'd love to see some of your images!
08-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I got home from a friend's funeral a little while ago and needed something to lift my spirits a bit. I was pleasantly surprised to find a box waiting on my doorstep, containing my K-X! The camera body is even nicer than the pictures on the eBay listing had depicted and it appears to only have 2,095 shots on the counter. In an act of unexpected generosity, the seller even threw in a fresh set of Duracell batteries in addition to the half-used Kirkland alkalines that were in the camera, adding even more value to the bargain price. I stuck my 18-55mm kit lens on it and took a couple of test snaps around the house just to verify everything is in working order, and it is. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces in the coming days. I wasn't sure what I'd think of the midnight blue body but it has a nice, subtle sportiness to it. I'll post some photos once I've taken some that are worth posting.

08-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Best wishes from another K-x user.
08-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, it's good life has settled a bit to allow you some Pentax photography again.
08-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome back E-man! Best Regards.
08-16-2015, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First shots

Here are a few shots I've taken with the Kx yesterday and today. The first two were taken in my back yard yesterday. The last one was taken today at a nearby historical park. I was kind of surprised that on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I was the only person there. Unfortunately, today's expedition got cut short when the memory card, which I had pulled from another camera, got full. Also, a couple of shots didn't save properly. I'm assuming this may have been a (mal)function of having a full card. Also, if you look at the EXIF for the last photo, the lens is mis-identified as a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro. It's actually a Quantaray 28-90mm f3.5-5.6 Aspherical lens. Looking at reviews of Quantaray lenses on this site, that appears to be a common error since Quantaray lenses were based on Sigma designs.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
08-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As alway seems to happen, one camera-related acquisition almost always seems to lead to one or two others. In this case, the K-X led me to snag a couple of additional lenses, a Sigma 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 Epsilon zoom and a Pentax-A 50mm f2 prime. I haven't had much of an opportunity to do any real shooting with either of them but the few test shots I've taken seem promising. I got the Sigma just as a 'walkin' around' lens and it seems adequate for that task. Handling is a bit odd. The zoom ring is really, really tight and the manual focus ring is nonexistent. I got the 50mm simply because all the other lenses I have for my Pentax cameras are zooms and I felt I wanted a prime. I was also curious to see how an older, film era manual lens would work with a newer DSLR. I learned photography with a very similar lens on my Minolta X-570 back in the '80s, so it feels comfortingly familiar. The "A" lens seemed to be a good choice since the camera is able to fully control the exposure and, what the heck, it was only $10.50. The first shot I took with it was a bit out of focus but I quickly realized that without a split-screen viewfinder, I needed to dial in the diopter a little better. I haven't taken anything with the Sigma worth uploading but I did take two interesting ones of my cat with the 50mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo