Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from south of France

Hi all, I've recently bought on e-bay a K200D with only 1800 shots, this is a very nice camera with a smart user interface.
Anyway I've seen plenty of good shares here, while seeking lens informations so I decided to join
The starting 18-55 lens kit with the K200 is easy to use but don't realy render what I'm expecting atm. so I bought a cheap Chinon MC 50mm f/1.7 which produces realy nice colors and sharp focus, very good contrast and vibrance too, it's not an AF lens but I almost hate AF, learned photography when I was a child on an old Minolta reflex, fully manual and loved it so I'm used to manual focusing and real viewfinders.

I'll maybe post questions somewhere else but to do short I just have 2 questions for which I found no answers yet (although I'm a google-addict) :

1. On my chinon 50mm prime lens (MC f1.7 with green and orange lettering and K-mount) I have an infinity focus issue : I can't get it sharp whatever aperture or other settings I use.
Is this a lens Issue ? I can get very sharp photos at mid-range or close, with perfect bokeh but when I want to shoot a landscape, focusing infinity, it will always be a little blured, even with the smallest aperture. I'm confused, as this lens seems in very good cosmetic and functional condition. If anyone has a suggestion...

2. When I'm using manual mode with my chinon K-M lens I can use the green button to get the right exposure speed but I found no ways to set this speed manualy, when I use the wheel I can't get more than 1/180 s, do I have a wrong personnal setting somewhere ?

And here are some photos taken with this K200D on flickr :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bpolleri/

Have a nice W-E ! Cheers.

08-21-2015, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! You'll find plenty of answers to your questions here. Looking forward to seeing some of your images posted here.
08-22-2015, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, and you have some really nice photos on Flickr. You can find vintage glass to go with the camera, or certainly used DA lenses available in Europe for it as well, including through the Marketplace listings in the Forum. I like your results with the Chinon. I've only used Pentax lenses with my digital bodies, so I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure others can. Infinity focus problems with other brands of lenses is common, I think. I spend time in Toulouse regularly (family visits), and hope to get to Provence one of these trips...
08-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
@Jacquot : thanks for your welcome, I finaly fixed this lens, a member helped me a lot with advice regarding focus ring calibration. It was not so easy to do as I found no information on how to disasemble this particular lens, but once found and found the ring locking screws, I've been able to calibrate it with LCD X8 zoom method and it now gives the sharper infinity I can get with my camera-lens set

---------- Post added 08-22-15 at 06:11 AM ----------

before and after (crop, approx. 15% of the original photo, full scale)

---------- Post added 08-22-15 at 06:19 AM ----------

I also found a nice set of lenses on e-bay (nice if the auction don't rise too much), these are M42 mounts, another noob question : when using a m42 to K adapter, can you still use the green button for metering ? I guess yes but nothing will lock the diaphragm wide open while focusing, am I right ?

08-22-2015, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, big difference, and I'm glad you found the answer and were able to correct it. For lenses that do not meter wide open, the meter will read the light actually coming in through the lens.
08-22-2015, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, good to see you've got your issue already resolved as quick as that, the forums a great place for that kind of thing.
08-29-2015, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from Poitiers ...

Hope to see some more images soon !

Salut, J
08-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from Poitiers ...

Hope to see some more images soon !