Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from Virginia!

Hello everyone! I'm a wannabee Pentaxian in the middle of nowhere in Virginia.

I've been interested in photography off and on as a hobby since high school, and recently it's been back on again. Right now, I'm mostly shooting nature and architecture, though every so often I'll break out the camera during an event. Might post some samples later.

I've been shooting with compacts most of my life. Not too long ago, it came across to me how limiting that was in certain areas, so I moved up to a Samsung mirrorless camera. I quickly realized that the Samsung system is kind of a dead end, unless I want to shoot with the kit lens all of my life. So after looking over other systems, I decided on Pentax, and got a K-mount adapter and a bunch of old manual-focus lenses -- mostly primes, but I recently added a macro zoom lens to my repertoire. I've been looking to buy my first Pentax camera, preferably a DSLR (though I wouldn't say no to a K-01). eBay has been a harsh mistress, alas, so progress has been slow.

Glad to meet you all!

08-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by logomancer Quote
eBay has been a harsh mistress
Welcome, once LBA has got a firm hold on you, eBay will seem like she was just a kindergarten mistress.
08-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! No matter where in Virginia you are, there is plenty to photograph!

I have had a K-5 for otwo years now, and I think it's fantastic with my old manual Pentax glass. You should be able to find something that is good quality on eBay, or on the forum here, as well. One you get your Pentax, considering joining the monthly Single-In challenge, a fun and informal way to show off your pix and see many others from around the world.
08-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

welcome aboard! the K-50 is a fine camera and can be had for a song! I visit Richmond and claytor lake (Radford) a few times a year......enjoyed big meadow on sky line and luray caverns during spring break.....although it was too cloudy for any night sky shots

08-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
welcome aboard! the K-50 is a fine camera and can be had for a song! I visit Richmond and claytor lake (Radford) a few times a year......enjoyed big meadow on sky line and luray caverns during spring break.....although it was too cloudy for any night sky shots
The southern end Skyline Drive is just down the road from my house, there is no end to the great photo ops around here.
08-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
great photo ops
no doubt! I never get enough time there since I am usually traveling in between........was surprised I had to pay to get on skyline though......worth it
08-24-2015, 02:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Skyline Drive is part of a national park, and you have to pay. The south end of the drive turns into the north entrance of the blue Ridge Parkway, which is free, and also incredibly scenic.

Logomancer''s location is "middle of nowhere in Virginia", I'll have to assume that is the south and west part of the state, which is beautiful as well, but less populous.
08-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Welcome, fellow Virginian! I'd agree that the K-30/K-50 would be a fantastic way to get into Pentax DSLRs. K-S2 is wonderful if you need wifi and tilt LCD. Of course, the K-3 is falling in price so it's also a fantastic choice, if you are looking for something advanced. There's no shortage of great choices!

As for the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway discussion - I prefer the BRP because it's free! The southern VA section is particularly beautiful! I understand the NC part is even prettier, but I haven't been there yet.

08-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, fellow Virginian!