Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Michigan

I came here from a recommendation from a member of dpreview. I am basically new to dslr photography and I currently have a K100D with kit lens and DA50-200.

I am looking into upgrading to a K200 soon and may possibly sell my K100. I have the funds to do it but am having a hard time deciding if it's the right time or should I invest in lenses.

I hope to gleen alot from "another" Pentax forum!

Brian

06-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello fellow Michigander! You are sure to learn lots here. I know I have. I also think I will enjoy the photo contests as something to get me out to take pictures other than just of the kids.

As a new to slr user, if you are satisfied with the Pentax system (ALL its positives AND negatives), I would suggest getting lenses.

Many here will tell you that the camera bodies will come and go. Its the glass that makes the difference. Unless you have problems with the K100D or are unhappy with some aspect of its performance, get the glass! It will be more fun. A few others have said that they want more features than the K10D has (thats what I have) and thus upgrade. However, I have yet to outgrow any feature or function that it has. Sure, I would like better low light performance, but hey, who wouldn't? Besides, its still better than my film days. I just learn to live with its limitations. Usually what I need to do is slow down and think about my image and what I want for a second. Then I find a way to do what I need to do. If I rush thru and shoot first, ask questions later, I get bad shots and blame the equipment.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum. If you are privacy conscious, PM me about your location. There are a few other Michigan people here too.

Scott
06-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another welcome, and a note that lenses are always usable, no matter which Pentax body you might be using. Your K100D is a fine camera, and you have two good starter lenses. Learn to use them well, and when you need a new body, then buy it.
06-19-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
There are a few other Michigan people here too.

Scott
Yup, there's a few of us around!

06-19-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Tom,

I am going to the opening ceremonies tonight of the traveling Viet Nam Wall and was wishing I had a Sigma 17-70 lens to use. I need to get a good panorama of the wall (240 feet long) so I can laser engrave it onto marble tile murals. This lens is on my short list and was wondering if you like it as much as others seem to.