Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

New with a K2.

Hi,

I'm Kate, I live in Melbourne, Australia and I have a Pentax camera that I have never used... yet!

To be more precise... it is a K2 film SLR that was owned by my grandfather; I inherited it along with it's 55/1.8 first lens and two third party lenses (a Takumar 135/3.5 and a mirror Makinon 300/5.6). It got lost in the disorder of a few house moves but I found it again a few days ago, only now I know enough to contemplate actually using it. I had played with P&S cameras in my teens and twenties, discovered they were not satisfying about 5 years ago and thus embarked on a quest to a) get a better camera and b) learn how to use a camera properly! Along the way I aquired a Nikon d7000 (my dad already had a Nikon dslr; we share lenses for them), and an Olympus E-PM2 (looking for something portable) and I've even managed to produce some photos I really really like.

I am looking at my K2 as I write this - it appears to be in excellent condition at first glance. It has a leather cover/case and the camera body looks near mint aside from a vfew slight marks on the bottom and a single scratch/rub on one end. The FP and X flash ports still have their covers even! It still has it's original instruction booklet with it (yay!) and thus far, every dial and knob seem to move smoothly, except the ASA ring - it's hard to hold down it's lever enough and it seems a little stiff. But I guess I wouldn't be changing that one very often! The mirror has a few specs of dust but no marks, but more worryingly, at the back, above the mirror, there appears to be some fungus. It's not on the mirror or the shutter... I think the mirror was left locked up for a while too. It comes down fine with the lever. Batteries were removed (I remember doing that when I first got it), and there are some spare batteries still in their packaging that are dated 2007.

In as much as I can tell without trying them, the lenses all appear to be in good shape. The front of the 55/1.8 has some smears/fingermarks on it and there is some dust here and there. The Takumar still has it's hard leather case. No fungus on the lenses at least!

I digress though. I will persist and when I get some film, I'll put it through and it anything is worth showing, I'll share.

09-05-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice find! Welcome to the forums. Just note that the Takumar is a Pentax as well
09-05-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome, the ASA ring of the K"2 requires to DEPRESS the button with one hand and turn it with the other, if you don't do that you risk to get it stuck.

Other infos in the film SLR forum, there is also a small Pentax pamphlet that shows how to do that.
09-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Kate

09-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France, Kate ... hope to see some images soon ! Salut, J
09-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, hope you get your grandfathers camera up and running.
09-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G.day mate and welcome to the forum.

I'll probably at some stage get a K2 to go with my smc lens collection.

09-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums and good luck with the K2. I have two of them, but both need an expensive clean and lubrication before they will work properly, so I've never used them.