Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #1

The Quintessence of Doghood: Short Photo Essay

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I was wondering if you could give me some critique and tips. My name is Jordan and I am out of Portland, OR. I love photography and I am pursuing photojournalism, landscape, and travel photography. I'm currently studying Photojournalism, and Professional photography at the New York Institute of Photography (NYIP). I Currently shoot with Pentax K-x, but am upgrading in a few weeks to Pentax K-3. I did my first Photo Essay the other day, just practicing. Anyways, here is a pretty short photo essay I did the other day and I love it! All comments welcome. Just kind of practicing with aperture and capturing those moments. What do you like? What do you dislike? How do these pictures make you feel?Thanks everyone.

Here is a direct link to it: http://madebyastarbreather.tumblr.com/post/128616098680/the-quintessence-of-...-a-photo-essay

Hope to see all the amazing things you are all doing!

Last edited by Jwbelvi; 09-08-2015 at 09:57 PM.
09-09-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coming from the point of view of a former TV photojournalist (11 years; Peoria, Louisville, Denver), the thing which I immediately noticed was that these are all tight shots. I was taught at the beginning of my career to always have a variety of wide, medium and tight. Granted, I am talking television, and so you may be being taught something different. The wide shot was to establish the environment you are in. The medium was to establish relationships between different participants in your story. And the tight shot was to establish emotional intimacy with the main subject, not just the face but also with hands (or paws), etc.

I don't want to step on your instructor here, as he or she, may be telling you something different. Always do what they want. But a story or essay needs to have a variety of shots. And while these appear to be technically correct, they just really don't tell a story.
09-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France, Jordan, and welcome to PF. Hope to see some more images soon ! Salut, J
09-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Coming from the point of view of a former TV photojournalist (11 years; Peoria, Louisville, Denver), the thing which I immediately noticed was that these are all tight shots. I was taught at the beginning of my career to always have a variety of wide, medium and tight. Granted, I am talking television, and so you may be being taught something different. The wide shot was to establish the environment you are in. The medium was to establish relationships between different participants in your story. And the tight shot was to establish emotional intimacy with the main subject, not just the face but also with hands (or paws), etc.

I don't want to step on your instructor here, as he or she, may be telling you something different. Always do what they want. But a story or essay needs to have a variety of shots. And while these appear to be technically correct, they just really don't tell a story.
Thank you so much! That is good information. I actually just finished a unit on what you just said. Too bad I didn't read it before I took the photos! I appreciate it

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 12:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote

I used to live in Pueblo, Colorado. Denver is pretty cool. and Bonjour Jean! Glad to meet you all!

09-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, photojournalism is a tough game to be in these days, network work like crazy... even now as you'll need all these folk later in your career for sure.
09-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad I could help. There are hundreds of participants on this forum who seem always ready to offer help and advice. And the responses are generally quick and on point. Use it. I had forgotten some of the basics of still photography after being diverted away to video photography for a few years. After purchasing a K7, I found this forum and was quickly back up to speed. I continue coming back, and after 5 years, I still pick up good info from time to time.

I think Pentax people are a special breed. And it shows!

Oh, and Welcome!
09-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums.

09-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you decide to re-shoot this essay, besides the wide/middle/tight information, I think you need to change perspective as well. Most of your shots are shooting down at the dogs. You need to get on their level for more of them.

Here is a pretty good thread on shooting pets.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/251896-shelter-...ps-photos.html

Tim