Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from an excited newbie

Hi all,

I loved photography as a kid, and with a cheap digital camera I took pictures of everything. I had a pretty huge collection of pictures too. I've lost all of those, however, when our hard drive got fried. I was devastated, and never took much pictures after that.

Well, that's all about to change! I'm getting back into it. I hope this forum will help me to progress well, and I hope someday I could contribute in a small way.

Thanks for letting me come on board.

Joseph

09-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

welcome aboard
happy shooting!
09-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
mee
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Did you ever try to recover the contents of the hard drive? I mean plug the faulty hard drive as a slave into your PC and try some recovery software on it? I'd be so bummed if I lost all of my photos!!

Glad you're coming around though.. What camera are you getting??
09-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome!!

And be assured. You picked the BEST photo forum on the internet!

09-10-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Welcome!!

And be assured. You picked the BEST photo forum on the internet!
What the man says is true.

Happy to have you join us!
09-10-2015, 05:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
Post a couple of pics, we would love to know what you like to photography.
09-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #7

After you get the K-3II you also need that 4TB RAID to go with it. And buy new SD cards at 95mb/s R/W and store the full ones. - nah, just kidding.
Welcome to the forum.
09-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Forum Member

Welcome! And a valuable lesson for us all on the importance of backups. That kind of catastrophe is pretty discouraging. Glad you are motivated to start again. It's a worthy endeavor.

09-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
Welcome! And a valuable lesson for us all on the importance of backups. That kind of catastrophe is pretty discouraging. Glad you are motivated to start again. It's a worthy endeavor.
Glad to have you aboard. Looking forward to your photos.
09-11-2015, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

WOW, thank you so much for all your replies - you guys are so welcoming and I feel right at home.
We had a really old windows 95 computer, and it never occurred to me to try to recover the hard drive. Now I know to back up everything I take!

I have a k100D: love it to death. Currently I'm using SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 with it. As of now I'm basically taking anything and everything I see, but I like shooting flowers and symmetrical stuff. I'll post pictures when I take some post-worthy stuff.
09-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Great to see some passion! My method is to take many pictures and to pick the best afterwards. As Ansel Adams said: “ Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop. "
09-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperSyx Quote
Welcome to the forum!
Post a couple of pics, we would love to know what you like to photography.
QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
Glad to have you aboard. Looking forward to your photos.
I have two pictures that I really like. Anything you notice that could've improved the shot: please let me know! I'd love some constructive criticism.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
09-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

First thing, I am not a professional photographer. I am a technician and a Engineer but here are my feelings. First shot: Blur the background and increase the saturation on the flowers to isolate the subject. Second shot: Details and textures are great, maybe crop to recompose so that the subject is not in the dead center. Hope that helps!
Submit more pictures in the "Post your photos" or "Photo critique" forum.
09-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, I'm sure some folk here can even help you with a good back procedure... for when that day comes around again, so all will not be lost. Note I did say when, not if, as all hard drives will fail, its just a question of when.

Me... I use a iMac with Time Machine, onto two external drives that alternate back ups each hour, with both iMac and external drives powered from a UPS.
09-13-2015, 02:59 AM   #15
Forum Member

Not a pro either so take it for what it's worth:

1) I like it. Not sure what you trying to do with it but if you were going for a standard shallow DOF with the center of the flower in focus, you accomplished it. I personally would go for a slightly different composition and crop right and bottom as it is currently somewhat split top and bottom in terms of grabbing attention but hey, maybe that works for you. The whole image has a bit of a soft glow that, again, is not for me but you may be digging it.

2) I think this is an excellent shot. I like the composition a lot. The cat's head is framed with the chair just right. The eyes are complimenting the greenery out of focus. I can't zoom in but from what I see on here, the details on the head (eyes, whiskers, ears, hair) is very nicely captured. It's a shot I'd be proud of. Though the left side of the cat sort of puzzles me. Seems way softer than it should be. Was his back half starting a motion or swishing his tail? Very minor detail though. A really nice photo.