Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

K-7 Camera and a new Lens

I recently bought a Macro 50mm lens F2.8 for my K-7 and was assured it would work. Current lens is a 50 - 200 mm zoom which works great, just not as a general purpose lens. I removed the current lens and attached the new lens. I cannot go to live view, the lens is not "communicating" with the K-7, nothing works with the camera. Did I miss something about using this lens or do I have a defective product? So far, I am very disappointed with my purchase. The instruction book that came with the lens said to make sure your camera is up to date, any advice on updating the K-7 would be helpful as well.

09-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you have set the camera to use the aperture ring. That's in the Custom Menu settings.
09-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryO Quote
I recently bought a Macro 50mm lens F2.8 for my K-7 and was assured it would work. Current lens is a 50 - 200 mm zoom which works great, just not as a general purpose lens. I removed the current lens and attached the new lens. I cannot go to live view, the lens is not "communicating" with the K-7, nothing works with the camera. Did I miss something about using this lens or do I have a defective product? So far, I am very disappointed with my purchase. The instruction book that came with the lens said to make sure your camera is up to date, any advice on updating the K-7 would be helpful as well.
If it's a Pentax lens it should work out of the box. If not, it might be shorting the contacts on the lens mount. Also, if there's an aperture ring with the "A" setting, make sure it's set to "A". Otherwise, follow these steps:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryO Quote
. . .
The instruction book that came with the lens said to make sure your camera is up to date, any advice on updating the K-7 would be helpful as well.

Greetings. It doesn't sound as if your problem is firmware related. But, if you want to check which version your K-7 has, here's the procedure:

With the camera off, press and hold the Menu button. While holding Menu, turn the camera on. Your firmware version will show on the screen for several seconds.

The latest K-7 firmware is version 1.13. You can download it here:
Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

09-12-2015, 03:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Here is the basic advice I can give.
Mount a lens that you know works normally on your camera. Charge the camera battery and leave it outside of the camera for some hours. Then put it back in and update the camera firmware (unless you are already running the latest). There are some threads and blog posts and youtube videos to help you with this, if you want. After this is done, go to camera Menu and go to the back of it, where you will find Enable Aperture ring use. This should be set to enabled. Now take your new lens and mount it on your camera. Make sure it clicks into place - brand new lenses can sometimes be a tight fit at first, but it still needs to be rotated all the way on. IF the lens has an aperture ring (ring next to f-numbers like f2.8, f4, f5.6,..) and there is a letter A, set the aperture ring to A. To do this, you will probably have to push a little button on the aperture ring. Put it into A and leave it there as long as you are using the lens on a DSLR. Now set the camera AF/MF switch to MF. Turn the camera on. In P mode, you should be able to take photos right away. You can then try other modes, enabling AF, and so on.
The only other thing that could prevent you from taking photos, as far as I know, is if you maybe have Focus priority set instead of Shutter priority. You can read up about AF settings in the manual. I think the manual can also be found online as a pdf file.

Also, which exact lens do you have? Pentax DFA 50mm f2.8 macro? Or is it an older model, another brand? Is the lens brand new, refurbished, used?

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-12-2015 at 03:58 AM.
09-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, do come back here to let all know how your getting on with this issue and if still no joy consider posting your question in a more appropriate section of the forum.
09-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to the Forums ... Salut, J