Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

New to photography

Hi, I am new to photography and would like to buy either a good used DSLR or something new. I'm currently thinking of buying Pentax K-3 and wanted to know an opinion about it. I really appreciate your help!!

Could you also redirect me to good sites where I can look for good deals (apart from this forum)?

Thanks!!

09-13-2015, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

A K3 would be one heck of a good first camera. There will be LOTS of room for you to grow into that one for sure.

Pro-tip would be to spend your money on lenses. Get the good stuff. When you figure out what you like (zooms, primes, manual, AF, etc) then buy more

I would look in the lens database at reviews and take the approach about lenses rather than a camera body. After you get to a certain level of proficiency you can (and will) upgrade the camera body eventually, but good lenses last forever.

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 09:58 PM ----------

And a follow up to that will be to make use of the marketplace. There are some really good deals on used but very excellent lenses. You can save a ton of money by experimenting on used lenses first.

I don't want to say 'forget the camera' but rather most of your priority should be put on lenses rather than camera bodies. Stuff like 'this many frames a second' or 'that many megapixels' can be alluring, but lenses are more important than all of that.
09-13-2015, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Hi there and welcome,

A few suggestions from my own experience starting photography, in no particular order. Might (or not) work for you, depending on your style.

- until you get the camera, use your time to read theoretical stuff about photography: exposure (aperture, shutter speed, ISO), how to measure exposure, how to focus etc. Don't over complicate but try to get the basics right;
- read the manual for your camera;
- only shoot RAW format (DNG) and manually post-process all your shots; while you're at it try to criticize yourself a bit, what works and what not;
- learn how to use some post-processing software (for me Lightroom + Nik Suite works just fine);
- as people have said, think about lenses more than the body;
- use PRIME lenses (fixed focal length); that's just my personal preference, most of the times they offer better IQ and I think they will make you a more disciplined photographer because you'll have to work harder for every shot, without the flexibility of a zoom;
- create a personal gallery on some site (like Flickr) and post your photos there; don't just randomly post ALL of your shots, but only the shots you're satisfied with;
- learn how to focus properly; read about hyperfocal distance, important for landscapes if you want sharp photos;
- did I mention sharp photos? consider getting a tripod and use it with a remote trigger, or use the 2 second timer;
- don't spend your money on a cheap tripod, it's useless; save money and get a GOOD one;

And finally... don't hesitate to ask here any question that you may have. For me this forum has been an amazing resource for photography and also I've met some nice people!

Good luck and good light.
09-14-2015, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get a used K5 or K5II for a very good price now. That's a great place to learn. The K3 is outstanding of course, but budget will be blown a little. If you want money leftover for lenses, look used for both camera and lenses.

If you're new to photography, it's a fairly steep learning curve but there are great ways to help you. The Magic Lantern books are useful - the last Pentax one was the K7 which will still be useful. Its controls are essentially the same as the K5. Those books are half photography and half technical manual, and really useful for novices.

As a starter you'll want a couple lenses which won't kill your bank account but will be fun to use and give good results. I'd start with this setup:
DA 18-135 WR. It's a useful walkaround zoom with motorized focus. It's a very pleasant lens to use, and it's weather resistant.
DA 50-300 (not the L version) WR version is nice but the older green-ring version is perfectly fine and very inexpensive now on the used market.
DA 35mm f2.4 (fantastic plastic) for you to experiment in the prime lens world.

Wait to get other lenses until you figure out what else you want to do. The specialized lenses are great, but you will need to figure out what your style is.

09-14-2015, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anushareddy7 Quote
wanted to know an opinion about it
Welcome to the forum, bear in mind you might get a slightly biased viewpoint here on the K3.
09-17-2015, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thank you so much, Guys.
I really appreciate you people taking time to provide suggestions/advice; being a beginner this means a lot to me. As suggested I'm focusing on getting good lens (just purchased 50mm f1.8 prime lens). Thanks again.

Look forward to learn more from you guys. Have a good day.
09-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anushareddy7 Quote
I am new to photography
This was the best book that helped me when I was new to photography.
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books
Here is a used K5ii
Used pentax k5ii | B&H Photo Video
The tamron 17-50 for Pentax is sharp and will be enough for most types of shooting
Used tamron 17-50 | B&H Photo Video
09-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #8

Hi all,

I'm new to photography and a friend of mine suggested a k20 as a good first camera. Any thoughts on this?

09-19-2015, 12:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF !

Hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J