Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Sticky Shutter Button on K-r

The shutter button on my K-r is sticking. I have seen threads that they run camera under warm water and soap but I don't think you can do that with the K-r. Any suggestions would be helpful. Camera is only 2 years old and sad it's not working right since it has effected auto focus too.

Thanks

09-14-2015, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many had this issue on the k-x, including me. One solution that worked often was to exercise the shutter button.

With the camera off, repeatedly press the shutter button firmly all the way. Try that 30 times or so, then test to see if it helped. Some reported doing it with the camera upside down so that anything in the button fell out.

The theory was that a bit of dust or dirt got into the button and this process moved or dislodged it enough to restore operation. Not sure if the same thing would work on the k-r or not but worth a try.

Another solution mentioned was to clean the shutter button with electrical contact cleaner. I would not recommend that unless you know what you are doing with that type of chemical.
09-14-2015, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
I was a k-r user for three and a half years up until 2 weeks ago. I noticed a pattern where if I'm on a seaside for more than two days, button gets sticky. First time it happened camera was only 1yr old. Then I tried putting a bit of medicinal alcohol (70%) on a shutter button, just a tiny wee bit. Just enough to slip under the button but not to soak the cirtuits much (for caution, since alcohol and destilled water are not conductive). After that I started pressing the button many times, wobbling it a bit when pressed down and so on. All of that has been done without the battery and I have waited around 5min to make sure that everything evaporated before turning the camera back on. It worked for some time, but untill this day the button gets stuck sometimes and especially when I'm at the seaside. So I gave up from that practice, I just press the button a bit harder and try to snap it out of that position when releasing.

I live in Croatia and usually in summer I spend time at sea, and during the year I'm deep inside continent. And during continent days, I rarely get that problem.
09-14-2015, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
mee
Veteran Member

I resolved sticky shutter button on my K-r earlier this year.. but it was involved.. that is, it involved me taking the camera apart to get at the shutter button from underneath.. removing it completely.. and washing it with soap and water in the sink.. JUST THE BUTTON NOT THE CAMERA!!!

I also cleared up the mode dial too.. it was a bit gritty. Now it is smooth like the day it left the factory. And the shutter release button functions in the same. :c )

---------- Post added 09-14-15 at 06:56 PM ----------

I should also point out.. there are A LOT of tiny screws that need to go in the EXACT/SAME spot from which they came.. plus there are some very delicate cables underneath. If you are not the meticulous, gentle handed person you need to be to perform this maneuver, I wouldn't risk it..

My K-r was a cheap ebay deal (due to the issues I suspect) and I didn't really care much if it broke or not.. but now it works like a champ.

09-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I hope you get your issue resolved at not too greater cost.