Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hi All, Target Re-acquired.

With a last name starting with W I'm not used to being first very often...so I take it whenever it comes. Congrats to me for being the first to join the forum and introduce myself in this 9:56pm moment.

Anyway...two points I'd like to mention...

--the first I stated in my bio...that I was a avid photographer when younger (Mamiya Sekor 500 tl, which I suppose is just about as accurate a time stamp as carbon dating) but suddenly life got in the way; and I haven't taken a picture in many, many years. I have recently re-acquired that target (of enjoying photography again) and I have become VERY keen on exploring medium format...which brings me to my second point:

--extensive reading on the net has convinced me that medium format film has "advantages", like bigger is better, etc., but looking at a computer screen of supposed medium format images does not seem the least bit persuasive that the format is "better". I'm already convinced in my mind why the format would be better, but to see it for myself...with my own two eyes...do I have to go search in the real world somewhere? Do I have to go knock on doors asking if anyone has an example of a medium format print I can see? And then they would show me the other version created using a Nikon d-something?

And then I'd go: AHA!??

Excuse me for being direct, as English is my first and only language. If I've asked a dumb question, I apologize. I am hoping that any new guy signing on for the first time right about now gets one or maybe two free dumb questions.

Dave

09-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, IMHO MF does produce higher quality images especially if you wish to print larger pictures.

But remember if your viewing these images on a computer, compression in and out of the internet ether, can change IQs quite dramatically.
09-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! You'll need to view some very large prints to see any real world difference between formats. The larger format, high MP digital cameras are for printing wall size murals. For anything else it's just not necessary. I've printed 8 MP images to 16x20 without a problem. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
09-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
wtlwdwgn,

Thanks for the welcome. If I read your idea about my format question correctly, should I understand that the medium format "bigger is better" idea is not as relevant anymore,,,and that...for example a relatively new dslr (non-medium format) would yield pictures just as "good" as a film medium format camera?

Could I be right in assuming then that the advantage of MF comes when reaching into an image and cropping/enlarging a point that represents 1/100th of the original? That dramatic cropping seems to be a way for people to describe why MF is better.

Thanks again.