Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Introduction and camera choice question

Hi everyone. I currently have a Canon IS S5 and I'd like to start getting into photography a little more. I like to take pictures but haven't been very serious about it so far. I want a camera for our son's sports (he's 8), zoo pictures, hiking and just general picture taking at family gatherings and the like. I think I've narrowed it down to the K-50 and K-S2. If anyone thinks a Canikon or another body might fit my needs better feel free to let me know though.

I like the articulating screen of the K-S2 because that's what I'm used to with my P&S currently. It's probably not a deal breaker but it'd be nice to have it. I've also heard it focuses better than the K-50 and focuses better in low light. One of the reasons I've been thinking of a DSLR is because of the poor low light performance I have now though I'm assuming either camera is better than what I have now.

I'm going to start with the 18-135 mm WR lens instead of the kit lenses. Right now the K-50 on Amazon with that lens is $585 for the red model. The K-S2 is $708 for the black with orange stripe. Is the performance difference between the K-S2 and K-50 enough to justify the $123 difference?

What else will I need to start? I know I need a bigger memory card than the 4 GB ones I have now and a camera bag. Is there anything else I'll need right away? Also, is the video on these cameras really as bad as some people make it out to be. Right now I have 640x480 resolution and it's generally fine for me. I'm not looking to record blockbuster movies. I just want to document some major events in our family's life.

Thanks for the help. Everything I've read on the forum has been great so far so I'm looking forward to being part of it.

09-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say the K-S2 kit is definitely worth it at that price. You're pretty much right on the money with the advantages you've listed.

I'd recommend a 32GB Sandisk Extreme card for the best possible performance.

Video quality isn't bad (probably more than adequate for your needs) but other cameras do it better. The biggest weak points are the stabilization and compression algorithms.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I would pay the extra $123 in your situation. You might also wait for black Friday and see what the deals are.

For the money you get:
20mp
AA filter removed (improves fine details)
Wifi
Articulating screen

You give up:
a wireless flash mode that you are not likely to use.
A little speed in frames per second
A little bit in continuous frames in a row (some due to the larger files)

You may benefit from:
Newer autofocus and metering

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-15-2015 at 08:24 PM.
09-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I did just notice that the K-S2 price is on Amazon but the seller is electronics basket. Does anyone know anything about them? The price is significantly cheaper than I can find most other places and I know I probably won't get the warranty but would it be worth it still to go outside a normal retail channel?

Or, I've noticed on ebay that many 18-135 lenses that are cheaper say from Japan. Are these legit?

09-16-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Call B&H before you order from Amazon through their marketplace. Tell them what you see and let them counter. Adorama might be worth calling, too.

I'd get the KS2 personally were I in your situation. The price looks great and it seems to be an excellent camera.
09-16-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'd really like the K-S2 but it looks like for it to be in my price range that I'd have to go for a 3rd party seller. For most things I don't mind that but this is a fairly large purchase. Is camera equipment generally okay to do that with? Would everything be as it normally would be if getting it new from a normal retailer aside from warranty?

Thanks for the tip on B&H and Adorama. I'll try them. I have some doubts they'll come down significantly though because their normal price for that kit is about $950.

6th Ave has it on ebay for about $700 but they don't seem to have a great reputation.

If not I'll wait for black Friday and see if it comes on sale. I guess the worst case would be that I have to settle for the K-50 which seems to be a pretty good camera in its own right.

I guess my other option would be to get the K-S2 with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses for $680 on B&H. Any opinions on whether getting the K-50 with better lens or K-S2 with kit lenses would be more beneficial?

Sorry for all the questions. I've read a decent amount so far but it's nice to get opinions from people who do this more often than I.
09-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
I'd really like the K-S2 but it looks like for it to be in my price range that I'd have to go for a 3rd party seller. For most things I don't mind that but this is a fairly large purchase. Is camera equipment generally okay to do that with? Would everything be as it normally would be if getting it new from a normal retailer aside from warranty?
Some of the third party people offer full warranty - check with them first. I bought my K-50 w/18-135 from Amazon and got it from a Canadian dealer (US warranty however). They listed it as a refurb ( I think because of minimum advertised price) and when I had a problem my warranty was honored by Ricoh via Precision in CT.

If not I'll wait for black Friday and see if it comes on sale. I guess the worst case would be that I have to settle for the K-50 which seems to be a pretty good camera in its own right.
Not a bad plan.

I guess my other option would be to get the K-S2 with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses for $680 on B&H. Any opinions on whether getting the K-50 with better lens or K-S2 with kit lenses would be more beneficial?
My first K100D Super kit was packaged with the 18-55/50-200 combo. It is not bad. The standard kit version now is the DA-L version which isn't as nice physically but optically should be OK. The 18-135 is a nicer choice but used prices on the 18-135 are around $300 or less so it could be a future upgrade.

My personal opinion is that you should try getting B&H and Adorama to budge - maybe they won't match but they may wiggle a little and that may be enough. Also if you wait until Black Friday is less than 30 days away - if the prices drop they are likely to match their own price drops.
09-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The $400 price for the 18-135 kit seems a bit steep to me. That's too bad, really. A K-50 will still be a very good starting point.
The one thing I'd miss with either K-50 or KS-2 is the top LCD display. I use that all the time, to the point where I don't use the in-viewfinder display much at all. To get that, though, you'd have to get a K-3 or K-5 series.

An option you should consider is getting a used camera. The Marketplace here is great. That would put a used K5-II or -IIs in your price range with some money for the lens. The older original K-5 is selling for under $300 now. I can attest it is a very durable camera. The used 18-135 is also in the $300 range.

Plenty of choices, there's no need to rush.

09-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I'll just say welcome to the forum, as I know nothing about all this fantouche technology, I'm just a Luddite.
09-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!

I've noticed that on eBay a K3 body can be had used (generally under 5k shutter actuations) for the same price as a new K-S2 body and the 18-135 mm lens is $250-300. Might it be worth going used if I can find a good deal on a K3 and lens or is it possible the K3 would be way too much for me as a beginner?
09-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #11

Thanks for the welcome!

I've noticed that on eBay a K3 body can be had used (generally under 5k shutter actuations) for the same price as a new K-S2 body and the 18-135 mm lens is $250-300. Might it be worth going used if I can find a good deal on a K3 and lens or is it possible the K3 would be way too much for me as a beginner?
In 2012, I upgraded to a K30 from a Canon SX 20 IS. Trust me, no matter what you choose, you will love it. Please buy the 18-135, it's a great lens.

---------- Post added 09-16-15 at 09:14 PM ----------

P.S., for accessories, I like the LowePro sling bags. They are cheap and really user-friendly, as long as you don't have huge lenses.