Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Hello, thank you and what do you think?

Hello Pentax Forum,

first of all I woul like to thank you! I have been visiting as a guest for quite some time now mainly in the lens database and foto threads. This helped me a lot making buying decisions (and to fill up the place with lenses).

I started out in the digital photography world with a Nikon Coolpix 9500 and entered the DSLR in 2008 with a K10d, mostly for taking pictures of my kids and family. After an initial phase using a zoom lens I started to limit myself to 50mm, then 28mm, which I think helped to develop more consciousness. Two years ago I upgraded to a used K5.

Life does not always leave time and energy for this hobby. However, currently I see some light and I want to raise my level of quality by printing more photos, get more consistent and save time by not shooting many pictures below a certain level. So I will be posting some pictures in the future to get feedback.

These are some landscapes from the last holiday. So far my pictures never really had this HDR look. In these I exposed for the sky, pulled up the shadows and sometines down the highlights. Somehow I liked it, but still canīt decide whether I want to add more or less "punch" to print a book.

(I am not familiar to the common practice of uploading, so these are quite compressed .jpgs)

Greetings from Europe.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
mee
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. Very nice. Sigma 17-70 lens?
09-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums, and thanks for letting us know about your journey here.

I think you're correct about needing more punch if you're going to use those shots in a book. I'd lift the exposure slightly for a start, and then experiment with contrast and micro-contrast, or use the exposure curves if you feel confident enough.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 09-19-2015 at 03:13 PM.
09-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CoolPix Quote
Hello Pentax Forum,

first of all I woul like to thank you! I have been visiting as a guest for quite some time now mainly in the lens database and foto threads. This helped me a lot making buying decisions (and to fill up the place with lenses).

I started out in the digital photography world with a Nikon Coolpix 9500 and entered the DSLR in 2008 with a K10d, mostly for taking pictures of my kids and family. After an initial phase using a zoom lens I started to limit myself to 50mm, then 28mm, which I think helped to develop more consciousness. Two years ago I upgraded to a used K5.

Life does not always leave time and energy for this hobby. However, currently I see some light and I want to raise my level of quality by printing more photos, get more consistent and save time by not shooting many pictures below a certain level. So I will be posting some pictures in the future to get feedback.

These are some landscapes from the last holiday. So far my pictures never really had this HDR look. In these I exposed for the sky, pulled up the shadows and sometines down the highlights. Somehow I liked it, but still canīt decide whether I want to add more or less "punch" to print a book.

(I am not familiar to the common practice of uploading, so these are quite compressed .jpgs)

Greetings from Europe.
Fantastic shots!

09-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

very nice! welcome aboard
09-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #6

Good shots!

Welcome to the Forums! Greetings from Estonia!
09-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums, and thanks for letting us know about your journey here.

I think you're correct about needing more punch if you're going to use those shots in a book. I'd lift the exposure slightly for a start, and then experiment with contrast and micro-contrast, or use the exposure curves if you feel confident enough.
Nice photos here and I also feel more punch is needed regarding contrast and possibly overall brightness. The appearance seems a little dull right now.
09-20-2015, 01:25 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

but still canīt decide whether I want to add more or less "punch"
Welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean, if these were mine I'd try a selective adjustment just to the foreground detail. Slight increases to black, contrast, saturation and shadows, which would give extra punch too, without being hopefully too HDR.

I don't know what do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-20-2015 at 01:34 AM.
09-20-2015, 01:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great photos, I really like the last one and Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC Macro is a great lens, still use it next to the newer Contemporary version,
and a big welcome from Australia
09-20-2015, 03:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Welcome to the forums. Very nice. Sigma 17-70 lens?
Thanks. Yes 17-70.

After leaving it aside for some time I am coming back to use it. I like the range of focal length. Perfect for traveling. Sometimes not sure about the sharpness.

---------- Post added 09-20-15 at 03:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean, if these were mine I'd try a selective adjustment just to the foreground detail. Slight increases to black, contrast, saturation and shadows, which would give extra punch too, without being hopefully too HDR.

I don't know what do you think?
That looks better, thank you!

Now the initial try looks dark. I need to find some time for this. Also composition, 16:9 with less sky maybe.

Shall I open a new thread for this? What section?
09-20-2015, 03:45 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Shall I open a new thread for this?
Aye that would a good idea see link below.

What section?
This would be the best place to get most responses. Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com
09-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF !

Hope to see some more images soon. Salut, J