Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Greetings from ATL

Hello!

So I've been a member since about 3 years ago, when I asked about info on the K-30. Shortly afterwards, I was given a Nikon D5100 that wasn't being used, and then I just became a lurker here. The D5100 can take some great pictures, and truth be told my abilities have not exceeded the hardware. But something was lacking that prevented me from fully enjoying the picture-taking experience. Maybe it was the menu system, perhaps it was the feel of the camera...most likely it was me just wanting a new gadget.

Anyway for the past 6 months or so, I looked for a new camera with more advanced features, including the D7x00, Canon 70D, Fuji X-T1, and the other usual suspects. In the end I was contemplating between the Fuji and the K-3. I know the Fuji jpegs are really something, and in general I found its images very pleasing. But as a whole, it seemed like the Pentax offered so much more. And then the Adorama sale happened.

The K-3 feels so solid in the hand, the shooting modes are great, and the pictures, while I've had limited time, look very promising so far. The WB and colors have been so much better compared to the D5100 that I feel like I've been missing out. I've got a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 coming, unfortunately it was on backorder. Hopefully they restock soon. I am just enjoying it on the 50mm F1.8 for now. Gonna have to start saving up for additional lenses.

I think there are two things I miss from the Nikon though: being able to set the minimum shutter speed for the auto ISO, and seeing the metering on the OVF EV bar for the current scene (I understand it's only available in M). But those are minor quibbles, and in return there are so many new useful offerings on the K-3. I am going to have a lot of fun learning how to shoot with this camera.

Very excited to be a part of this community! Thanks for reading.

09-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

kewl beans
welcome aboard from HSV
09-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF !

Hope to see some images soon. Salut, J
09-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome (back) to the forums! All the brands have stronger and weaker sides to their offerings. It's all about finding the mix that suits you the best - and hopefully you have found it now. The rest is mostly to find ways to work around the obstacles still there. Being a photographer means you have to be a problem solver - which makes it all the more rewarding when you nail it.

Enjoy!

09-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome on board, is ATL?... Atlanta, Georgia for the rest of us International folk, cos your in the big boy league now.
09-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. Atlanta area Pentax user here as well
09-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks y'all. Looking forward to acclimating myself with this system. Finding new ways to do things is always fun.

And yes I'm in Atlanta lol. I love this city and just want to pretend everyone knows and loves this place as well. Of course, in such an international forum, this kind of attitude will get me ostracized pretty quickly I'm sure. But I'm from Japan and having traveled around a bit, I like to think I know a good city from a bad one.
09-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Atlanta is fun! A great place to take pictures of buildings and not from the mountains.