Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

My Brief Pentax experience

Having been a Nikon shooter for many years I felt the need to switch to a camera system that offered a more accurate white balance and also better focussing in the dark. I have in my arsenal a D300, D600 and D700 and the fastest lenses...50/1.4, 85/1.4 and 20/2.8. These three lenses suit all of my needs from Commercial, Portraiture to Weddings. After much research I decided to switch to the Pentax K3 for: Weather sealing, more cross-type sensors, much better white balance and the complete customization that was available. Life was sweet I bought the Pentax 50/1.4.

After using the camera for 4 weddings I couldn't wait to sell it. This is one camera that totally got in the way of my art. The constant out of focus images, the focus systems that focusses...then it thinks about it...then it locks has caused me to miss many quick spontaneous moments. The software when left on its own chooses very slow shutter speeds and when the program mode is adjusted to select a faster shutter it actually just chooses a higher ISO in the range that it is allowed. Trust me, this camera was a huge letdown...selling it was a whole other issue...I had a 6 year old D700 that had 187,000 actuations and that sold in about 5 days for more than my Prestige Edition K3 that was 7 months old. That camera took me 5 weeks to sell. The Pentax 50/1.4 was only usable at about 2.2 so I unloaded that as well.

Image quality was decent...but it is a camera I cannot trust to capture the quick moments that weddings bring. It made me very nervous and extremely unsettled using it. I basically had to resort to using the TA mode and to set the shutter speed at 1/125 minimum to make sure I could get a sharp shot indoors.

I wanted to like it but my eye, fingers and mind are too quick for the K3 and in the end it hindered my work. I sold it happily at a loss.

09-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for stopping by.
09-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

different strokes for different folks.
09-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Fun stuff. Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoyed your (short) stay here.

09-22-2015, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

His eye, fingers, and mind are too quick for this forum.
09-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This reported behavior is quite different from my own experience with the k3. I hate that your experiences were so poor.
09-22-2015, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont dispute your experience but perhaps you didnt spend enough time getting acquainted to a whole new system.
And perhaps your 50mm needed focus adjustment. Well, good luck.
09-22-2015, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CameraG Quote
Having been a Nikon shooter for many years I felt the need to switch to a camera system that offered a more accurate white balance and also better focussing in the dark. I have in my arsenal a D300, D600 and D700 and the fastest lenses...50/1.4, 85/1.4 and 20/2.8. These three lenses suit all of my needs from Commercial, Portraiture to Weddings. After much research I decided to switch to the Pentax K3 for: Weather sealing, more cross-type sensors, much better white balance and the complete customization that was available. Life was sweet I bought the Pentax 50/1.4.

After using the camera for 4 weddings I couldn't wait to sell it. This is one camera that totally got in the way of my art. The constant out of focus images, the focus systems that focusses...then it thinks about it...then it locks has caused me to miss many quick spontaneous moments. The software when left on its own chooses very slow shutter speeds and when the program mode is adjusted to select a faster shutter it actually just chooses a higher ISO in the range that it is allowed. Trust me, this camera was a huge letdown...selling it was a whole other issue...I had a 6 year old D700 that had 187,000 actuations and that sold in about 5 days for more than my Prestige Edition K3 that was 7 months old. That camera took me 5 weeks to sell. The Pentax 50/1.4 was only usable at about 2.2 so I unloaded that as well.

Image quality was decent...but it is a camera I cannot trust to capture the quick moments that weddings bring. It made me very nervous and extremely unsettled using it. I basically had to resort to using the TA mode and to set the shutter speed at 1/125 minimum to make sure I could get a sharp shot indoors.

I wanted to like it but my eye, fingers and mind are too quick for the K3 and in the end it hindered my work. I sold it happily at a loss.
I question why you bothered to generate a user account then spend the time to unload your trash at our doorstep?

09-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I question why you bothered to generate a user account then spend the time to unload your trash at our doorstep?
Looking for love in all the wrong places.
09-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There are a number of members here who use Pentax equipment for wedding photography. I'm sure they can give you pointers how to overcome the limitations you ran across. Mainly it sounds to me like unfamiliarity with the equipment and the various tweaks to settings.
09-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

We wish you well in your future endeavors.
Closed Thread