Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Pentax MX-3 Cable Release

Where can I find cable release for a Pentax MX-3? I also need a compatible hotshoe flash.

09-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK. I just checked on the specs for the MX. It uses a mechanical cable release threaded into the shutter release button, the great classic method used for many decades. Any mechanical release will fit. There are many available. I have perhaps ten left over from my LX. If you want a new one, go to B&H and search for "cable release" or "mechanical cable release." There are many available. I have releases from 4" to about 35". Want one?

The MX has no internal TTL flash control. You want to get a flash that uses a thyristor sensor in the flash for automatic exposure . How it works: you set the camera shutter to "X" and an aperture indicated on the flash for the ISO/ASA of the film you've loaded. A sensor on the flash reads light reflected off the subject and shuts off the light when there's been sufficient exposure. Some thyristor flash units have a high/low setting so you have a choice of two f-stops for each ISO/ASA film speed. Thyristors are the second generation system for automatic flash exposure. There are still some new flash units available that use it, but there are many in good to excellent condition available on EBAY. I may have a Sunpak with a zoom head for a bargain $ if you're interested, but you'd probably need to GOOGLE for an instruction manual.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-24-2015 at 01:27 PM.
09-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I have no idea, but hopefully someone will be along shortly that does.
09-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you looking for a flash that is small? Simple? Large? Powerful?

09-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is an MX 3? The film camera is just plain MX. Cable releases are everywhere on eBay. If you can find a flash that has an eye to measure and regulate it's output, that is the better way to go.
09-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by queenofaceland Quote
Where can I find cable release for a Pentax MX-3? I also need a compatible hotshoe flash.
Do you mean either the MZ-3 or ZX-30 (MZ-30) film (35 mm) SLRs?
09-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you guys! I actually meant a cable release and flash for Pentax ME-Super. I purchased a cable release from B&H Photo and will arrive next week. I haven't been shooting since high school and just trying to get back into the groove. I'll look into Ebay for accessories. Thanks for being so helpful!