Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

New to Pentax (sort of)

Hello all,

Just ordered my first DSLR (K-50 kit with 2 lenses) for just over $400US. Seemed like a really good deal on a decent first camera so I went for it.

I owned a Ricoh film camera in the early 1980's and mostly shot black and white, but never took the time to actually learn photography. Hoping to do better a little better this time around by studying and putting into practice what I learn.

My digital experience is limited to 2 different point and shoots. The first was a nearly DSLR sized Olympus C3040-zoom (which I still own) and nearly a decade later picked up a small Panasonic DMC-LZ8 (still own this one as well). Had some fun with the manual controls of the Panasonic. It still takes decent photos.

With autumn on the way here in New England, hoping to take some nice fall foliage photos. Time to read up a bit on how to do that

Last edited by makruger; 09-29-2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: grammar correction
09-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome welcome
That's a great deal you got! And a great camera as well!
Hope to see some nice fall foliage photos from your part of the world
Cheers from Stockholm
09-25-2015, 01:22 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Welcome! I just got that camera and I enjoy it so far. It has some great advantages for the price it seems, and it has been easy to learn with the help of the manual and this forum. That is a great deal! I paid slightly less but just got one kit lens. I love how you can use the older more affordable lenses. I did not even know that when I chose it. I just wanted weather resistance. I got an old manual pentax lens for $30 and it rocks the socks of the kit lenses, at least for low light and indoors. I hope you enjoy the camera as much as I have so far! I researched this forum a lot as it was shipping and got half decent pictures right away. Check this out, it helped me alot 21 Settings, Techniques and Rules All New Camera Owners Should Know - Digital Photography School

Best Luck!!!
09-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy that new equipment once you get your hands on it.

09-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Looking forward to learning how to shoot great pictures. Pretty sure I'll be pleased with the camera as well. Found a forum post mentioning how I can buy an extended warranty for less than $20US, so I bought one. Got a great deal on that too....about $7US @ Amazon. With all the money I saved, I ordered a nice camera bag, AA battery adapter, and a 32GB flash card. A nice little kit with a 3 year warranty for less than $500US. No complaints there.
09-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on getting a great kit to enjoy photography! Looking forward to your Fall photos, as you are in the very best area for beautiful color! We all will be most envious!
09-29-2015, 04:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ! Hope to see some images soon ! Salut, J

09-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
The camera arrived in the mail today. It looks very nice and even included a bonus 4GB eyefi mobi card. I wasn't expecting such a pleasant surprise

Got the battery charged and am currently reading through the manual and Yvone Bourque's K-50 book (the sample which I downloaded). I'll probably buy a full copy as it reads very nicely and is sure to be very helpful in getting to know the K-50.