Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Vietnam and Pentax

I have come to this forum because many years ago while serving in Vietnam I acquired a Pentax camera that I used to take some pretty interesting photos of that time and place. A great camera. In addition, I acquired a bunch of lenses. Now, at this point in my life, I am considering selling these items. Before going to that trouble, can anyone tell me if this stuff has any value after all this time? Thanks for any replies and guidance. Jim

09-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Value will depend on the specific items and their condition, but for most items of that vintage, you should at least be able to get a few bucks. If it's rarer stuff, it could conceivably be in the hundreds. If you care to share specifics, I'm sure there are many here who could give input on values.
09-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JLSDirect Quote
I have come to this forum because many years ago while serving in Vietnam I acquired a Pentax camera that I used to take some pretty interesting photos of that time and place. A great camera. In addition, I acquired a bunch of lenses. Now, at this point in my life, I am considering selling these items. Before going to that trouble, can anyone tell me if this stuff has any value after all this time? Thanks for any replies and guidance. Jim
You can also search ebay for these lenses and look at just the SOLD one's to get an idea about the value. Then you need to compare the condition of yours with the one's that sold.
09-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Specs

Thank you so much for your input. FYI, here are the specs for what I have. Locked in a closet all these years.

Pentax Camera
Purchased new / Vietnam 1969 / good condition
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic (2748947) plus protective case
Super Takumar Lens:
28mm 1:3.5/28 (3585798) Hoya Skylight filter
50mm 1:1.4/50 (3374460) Hoya Skylight filter
105mm 1:2.8/105 (3211196) Hoya filter (82A)
135mm 1:3.5/135 (3275335) Hoya Skylight filter
200mm 1:4/200 (3826169) / Hoya Skylight filter

Additional Filters
Hoya (81A)
Hoya UV
Hoya O (G)
Hoya Y (K2)
Hoya G (X1)
Hoya R (25A)

Acessories
Vivitar Flash Attachment / 161 / with charger
Asahi Pentax Cable Release 11 (unopened/original)
Vivitar Light Meter
Lens brush
Asahi Pentax Accessory Clip (original box/unused)
Original Carrying Case

09-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! One thing to be sure and check is if there is any fungus on the lenses.
09-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
I wondered if anything might be growing in the case when I opened it! No. All is clean and in good shape. I am not an expert but this stuff really appears to be of high quality from that time.
09-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Most of that stuff has some value ($50-100 range per item). You can check average prices in our lens database:
Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you listed the items in the Marketplace I'm sure it would sell rather quickly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wondered if anything might be growing in the case when I opened it! No. All is clean and in good shape. I am not an expert but this stuff really appears to be of high quality from that time.
Be sure that you've looked inside the lenses.

09-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have come to this forum because many years ago while serving in Vietnam I acquired a Pentax camera that I used to take some pretty interesting photos of that time and place. A great camera. In addition, I acquired a bunch of lenses.
Did it ever occur to you, serving in Vietnam, that one day Pentax lenses would be assembled there for sale worldwide, including the US?
09-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, have you considered buying a modern day Pentax DSLR and getting the use of these lenses on it?
10-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
I would love to again use this camera and lenses. I have reviewed some of the photos I took once upon a time. I thought then and believe still that this camera was a fantastic deal. Now, no time and bad health. Will try to list for sale. Thanks.