Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're going camping, the WR is a must. I considered the two-lens versus the one-lens package for what seems like an eternity. I've decided to go with the 18-135, but this is because it suits the sort of photographs I know I'll be taking in bad weather, and I would prefer the convenience of taking only one lens into the field that can do most things well. I know I either won't need anything longer than 135 or can crop for it if I really have to.

However, I don't think the two-lens set is bad for a beginner; just remember to protect the camera and lenses if you find you need to change them in bad weather. You can always pick up a used 18-135 later if you find yourself constantly changing lenses to work around that 55mm focal length.

As regards plastic mounts, I've seen Pentax do them well (the 50mm f/1.8 DA; dirt cheap but very, very good) and poorly (the 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6 from the film era, which feels like it's going to shake itself apart whenever the camera focuses, but it redeems itself in lightness, useful focal-length range and decent images for family snapshots). I haven't handled the two kit lenses in question, but I would hope by now they're more toward the good end of the spectrum. There is a deluxe version of both with the metal mount and with quick-shift (full-time manual focus override, which is useful when changing from very close to very long distance subjects smoothly), but that's substantially more pricey.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Having the extra focal length range of the pair may help you sort out exactly what sort of lenses you need to buy later - there is software which will keep track of how many shots you take at such and such a focal length, which can be informative when making buying decisions on either prime lenses or higher-priced wide or narrow zooms.

Have fun, and remember - unlike film, it costs nothing to experiment with digital and play around with the settings. Taking lots of photos is the only way to improve your skills.

09-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

a good n fast sd card will come in handy.....possibly a 2nd battery.....and other things that will mount as you want/need in the accessory category and that will never cease!
09-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by annap24 Quote
Do Pentax cameras often go on sale around Black Friday/Cyber Monday? The $408 for the K-50 and two WR lenses seems like a great deal to me, but knowing my luck they'll go on sale more right after I purchase it.
I really doubt you will see a better deal on this particular bundle for the rest of the year. Those two lenses cover a wide range, and realistically you not need to buy another lens for a quite a while.

Enjoy, and consider joining some of the groups, like the Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com. It may give you some incentive to use the camera a lot, and many of the member have knowledge of your camera and can assist you.
09-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In terms of accessories, spare batteries! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/304093-spare-battery.html is a recent thread on spares - the Wasabi charger plus two spares has worked well for me.
In terms of Black Friday, steep discounts can be had.

09-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Have fun, and remember - unlike film, it costs nothing to experiment with digital and play around with the settings. Taking lots of photos is the only way to improve your skills.
Thank you for your advice! I plan on taking LOTS of pictures once I get the camera so that I can improve my skills and understanding of all the photography terms.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
a good n fast sd card will come in handy.....possibly a 2nd battery.....and other things that will mount as you want/need in the accessory category and that will never cease!
QuoteOriginally posted by missile Quote
In terms of accessories, spare batteries! Spare Battery is a recent thread on spares - the Wasabi charger plus two spares has worked well for me.
In terms of Black Friday, steep discounts can be had.
Thanks guys! I will be sure and get at least one spare battery. That will be nice so I don't have to worry about the camera dying while I'm away from the house. My plan is to get a 64 GB class 10 SD memory card. I've read that those are fast and don't slow the camera down as much.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I really doubt you will see a better deal on this particular bundle for the rest of the year. Those two lenses cover a wide range, and realistically you not need to buy another lens for a quite a while.

Enjoy, and consider joining some of the groups, like the Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com. It may give you some incentive to use the camera a lot, and many of the member have knowledge of your camera and can assist you.
I was thinking the same thing about the price of this bundle! It's almost too good to be true. I would love to participate in some of the photo challenges so that I can get a wide variety of practice with my camera and get some advice from people who are much more knowledgeable than I am.

Thanks everyone!
09-28-2015, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
Bit the bullet and ordered the K-50 with the two kit lenses! I can't wait for it to get here so I can start practicing with it. Luckily I have Amazon Prime so it will be here Thursday because I'm impatient. I'll be sure to update with some pictures once I get it!
09-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

sweet
congrats!
09-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. The K50 is a great camera I really like mine. I use it right along with my K3. I have the 18-135 and it is always on a camera body, usually the K50. You can not go wrong for the price. You can always decide to get another lens later. There are plenty for sale right here in the forums. There is thread for K50 photos here ->https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/261481-pentax-k-50-photos.html. Here is a shot of my dog with my K50.

Hey there, K50

Congratulations on the new camera. Looking forward to seeing some images.

09-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by annap24 Quote
K-50 with the 18-55mm lens and the 50-200 mm lens for $408
wow, with this combo you can survive for a long time without buying new gear !!!! or if you want to take the hard way, get the k50 with a prime lens (ex : DA 50mm f1.8) you'll learn the composition and develop your vision with the prime lens (fix focal lens)
09-29-2015, 03:19 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Fortunately, a used 50mm is easy to find, and usually inexpensive. Still you have now bought a versatile kit that will meet your needs in just about any situation for quite a while.
09-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ! Salut, J
09-29-2015, 04:03 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
or if you want to take the hard way, get the k50 with a prime lens
OP has already ordered their camera with the two-lens WR DA L kit to span 18-200.

That being said,the 50mm prime, though not water-resistant, is a good lens and a useful one to have. Hard to refuse at the price. Pick it up, OP, once your budget has repaired itself; and challenge yourself a bit indoors or when the weather's fine. If nothing else, the wide aperture (f/1.8) will slightly extend the range of your onboard flash. The one thing it's not really good for is group shots indoors (unless the indoors is a gym or hall or something and the group is small), but it can pick out individuals nicely.

And redcat's also right about being able to go for a long time before buying other gear. With the exception of the 50mm f/1.8 prime, which I think everyone should have at some stage*, I'd be content to use your two-lens kit for a year or so and see at what focal lengths you're mostly taking pictures. Then if you feel the urge to get more lenses, you can plan your needs in an informed manner. To see what the prime will look like, you just need to put the 50-200 on at minimum zoom all the time. It's like that, but copes much better in low light without flash.

* Some people will advise you to buy the 35mm DA f/2.4 "plastic fantastic" instead, which from all reports is an outstanding lens, because its field of view is approximately equivalent to 50mm on a film camera. Either is fine, but I have the 50mm DA and can speak to its quality, whereas I have no experience with the DA35/2.4.
09-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Da 35 2.4 is a nice lens but only slightly faster than the kit and at 35mm the kit is quite good.
09-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
There are plenty for sale right here in the forums. There is thread for K50 photos here ->Pentax K-50 photos. Here is a shot of my dog with my K50.
Beautiful dog! I have a GSD as well. Thanks for sharing that thread! I will definitely be browsing it and sharing some pictures soon.
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
And redcat's also right about being able to go for a long time before buying other gear. With the exception of the 50mm f/1.8 prime, which I think everyone should have at some stage*, I'd be content to use your two-lens kit for a year or so and see at what focal lengths you're mostly taking pictures. Then if you feel the urge to get more lenses, you can plan your needs in an informed manner. To see what the prime will look like, you just need to put the 50-200 on at minimum zoom all the time. It's like that, but copes much better in low light without flash.
Thanks for this advice! I will be sure to get the 50mm f/1.8 prime at some point. For now I'll play around with the kit lenses and work on understanding all of the photography terms so that I can make myself better. Then I'll upgrade to better equipment.
09-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good for you. Have fun with your new acquisition!