Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by annap24 Quote
I'm reading up on all the different modes and how to use them properly. There are so many modes and features that I don't know where to start!
I think many of us will agree that Av=Aperture Priority mode will be commonly used, and that is not a bad thing at all. When I'm feeling lazy/in a hurry, I use it a lot. Since you were initially trying to shoot using natural light indoors, the TAv mode is cool, just remember to give yourself a wide range of ISO in the menu page.

IN the end, get familiar with the front and rear dials so you can easily select aperture and shutter speed in Manual Mode. It takes a bit of time to get used to, I often switch between Av and M modes depending on the light and the image I'm trying to acquire.

Enjoy!

10-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I think many of us will agree that Av=Aperture Priority mode will be commonly used, and that is not a bad thing at all. When I'm feeling lazy/in a hurry, I use it a lot. Since you were initially trying to shoot using natural light indoors, the TAv mode is cool, just remember to give yourself a wide range of ISO in the menu page.

IN the end, get familiar with the front and rear dials so you can easily select aperture and shutter speed in Manual Mode. It takes a bit of time to get used to, I often switch between Av and M modes depending on the light and the image I'm trying to acquire.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I've been experimenting with Aperture Priority today. I tried the TAv mode last night, but I think I need to better understand Aperture priority and Shutter speed priority before I tackle both at the same time.

Here are a couple shots from today when I was experimenting with Aperture Priority and working on focusing on different parts of the image. My very willing model is my black lab Didi. I wish the first one was a little less dark on her face, but I like how she's more in focus than my other dog in the background. The second two pictures are essentially the same, but that's where I was practicing focusing on specific parts of her (nose versus eyes).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots, and good examples of how aperture changes the depth of field.

I am sure you are familiar with the triangle of Aperture, Time(Shutter), and ISO and the compromise and balance that's made between each when capturing an image. In Av and Tv modes, the ISO is generally constant, you have chosen to fix value of A (or T), so the camera value of T (or A) to get a properly exposed image. In TAv mode, you select the A and the T, but allow the camera to vary the ISO in order to get a properly exposed image.
This is a cool mode to play with, because you might want a specific depth of field, and "frozen" (or blurred) motion, but the Av or Tv mode alone won't deliver both depending on conditions, so using the TAv mode allows you to set those two factors and the camera choose the ISO. I think this is one very great advantage of a DSLR over a film SLR, you can change the ISO for each picture.

Anyway, keep shooting and posting.
10-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Nice shots, and good examples of how aperture changes the depth of field.

I am sure you are familiar with the triangle of Aperture, Time(Shutter), and ISO and the compromise and balance that's made between each when capturing an image. In Av and Tv modes, the ISO is generally constant, you have chosen to fix value of A (or T), so the camera value of T (or A) to get a properly exposed image. In TAv mode, you select the A and the T, but allow the camera to vary the ISO in order to get a properly exposed image.
This is a cool mode to play with, because you might want a specific depth of field, and "frozen" (or blurred) motion, but the Av or Tv mode alone won't deliver both depending on conditions, so using the TAv mode allows you to set those two factors and the camera choose the ISO. I think this is one very great advantage of a DSLR over a film SLR, you can change the ISO for each picture.

Anyway, keep shooting and posting.
Thanks for the explanation! I'm new to pretty much everything photography related, so although I knew about the exposure triangle, I haven't ever used it before or completely understood it. I was a little intimidated by Shutter Priority yesterday because it seemed to make my pictures much darker, but I just started playing with TAv mode again and I am MUCH happier with the pictures. I was thinking using TAv mode would be more difficult than doing Av or Tv, but it actually seems to be easier because I'm more in control. I'll post some more pictures soon after I play with it a little more!

10-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #50

Original Poster

This was one I took in TAv node. I like having control over both aperture and shutter speed!
10-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Good picture.

Manual Mode allows you control over all three aspects, so you have to be conscious of how one affects the other two, and the trade-offs.

The great thing about digital is that you can experiment by shooting as much as you wish, and the cost never goes up.