Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for the DA 50 1.8. For the price you just can't beat it. The plastic mount has never given any kind of issue. I have the 35 plastic fantastic as well.
Michael

09-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #32

Original Poster
I'm so torn guys... My K-50 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and I just saw that Costco has the K-S2 with 18-55 mm and 50-200 mm lenses plus a camera case for $499. That's only $90 than what I paid. I can return the K-50 for only the cost of return shipping... Should I return it and get the K-S2? I have a Costco membership.
09-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #33
Pentaxian

quite possibly worth a check
09-30-2015, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the world of ever-changing cameras and lenses. Every time we buy something, they make something else bigger/better/fasert/and on and on. Get used to it now/; it's just the beginning ;-)

Your K50 choice is a great one. Don't stress it... The KS2 is updated with bells and whistles and MP's. The articulating LCD is nice (I'm quite fond of the one on my Sony). If you want to spend the extra $$ it's a great camera too. But don't feel like you're majorly missing out if you don't. These are both great cameras.

09-30-2015, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You lose (w/KS2 vs k50) some continuous speed and buffering (probably due to the increased file size), as well as the optical wireless triggering of a remote off camera p-ttl flash via the built in flash.

You gain 25% in megapixels, newer firmware, articulating screen, etc.

Both are weather resistant, offer scene modes, etc. both take great pictures. In the end the ks2 is newer and may last longer in the lineup. It also has a sensor with more resolution that is more like what competitors are offering.

But if remote optical triggering is important - the k50 is able to do it and the ks2 can't. Vice versa if the articulating screen is a must have.
09-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But if remote optical triggering is important - the k50 is able to do it and the ks2 can't. Vice versa if the articulating screen is a must have.
I wondered about the ks2's remote shutter. I know it doesn't have a wired input for it, but is it also missing the wireless remote capability as well? If that's so, I could not recommend it. There's so much photography you couldn't do nearly as well absent the remote capability. Can you confirm, @UncleVanya?
10-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Your K50 choice is a great one. Don't stress it... The KS2 is updated with bells and whistles and MP's. The articulating LCD is nice (I'm quite fond of the one on my Sony). If you want to spend the extra $$ it's a great camera too. But don't feel like you're majorly missing out if you don't. These are both great cameras.
You lose (w/KS2 vs k50) some continuous speed and buffering (probably due to the increased file size), as well as the optical wireless triggering of a remote off camera p-ttl flash via the built in flash.
Thanks for easing my worries guys! I have a tendency to worry about making the wrong decision. I really think I made the right one with the K-50 thought. I definitely like the speed and buffering and the wireless triggering. I can't wait to get my K-50 this afternoon and start experimenting with it.

10-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wondered about the ks2's remote shutter. I know it doesn't have a wired input for it, but is it also missing the wireless remote capability as well? If that's so, I could not recommend it. There's so much photography you couldn't do nearly as well absent the remote capability. Can you confirm, @UncleVanya?
QuoteOriginally posted by annap24 Quote
Thanks for easing my worries guys! I have a tendency to worry about making the wrong decision. I really think I made the right one with the K-50 thought. I definitely like the speed and buffering and the wireless triggering. I can't wait to get my K-50 this afternoon and start experimenting with it.
Excuse me for misleading you. I meant remotely triggering a flash using the onboard flash not remotely triggering the shutter. But the wired remote port on the K50 is also used for longer distance remote triggering - via Radio - should you ever need that. I love my K50 and despite owning the K3 I still enjoy shooting it from time to time.
10-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Excuse me for misleading you. I meant remotely triggering a flash using the onboard flash not remotely triggering the shutter. But the wired remote port on the K50 is also used for longer distance remote triggering - via Radio - should you ever need that. I love my K50 and despite owning the K3 I still enjoy shooting it from time to time.
No, my mistake. I rarely use flash, so "triggering" means something else to me

Btw, for the OP and others, this from one of the PF KS2 confirms: wired remote, no; IR remote, yes:

"There's no socket for a remote cable release, so my old Pentax remotes won't work - this is a bad development in my view. Now I have to buy an IR-remote, or connect it to my phone. Well I guess many would see the Wifi and phone connectivity as plus, but from my viewpoint this is not a positive development."

I personally prefer the IR remote (though it is more $$) but would miss the backup of wired.

---------- Post added 10-01-15 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by annap24 Quote

You'll have a blast! Hope you're enjoying it as we speak.

IMHO, there are no wrong decisions in photography. Just opportunities to make different ones.
10-01-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #40

Original Poster
You'll have a blast! Hope you're enjoying it as we speak.

IMHO, there are no wrong decisions in photography. Just opportunities to make different ones.
I wish! I'm waiting to get out of class for the day.

And that's very true. I'm looking forward to the world of DSLRs.
10-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #41

Original Poster
It's here!!! I started experimenting with my K-50 once I figured out how to operate it. It's so much fun! I'm loving the feel of it and the picture quality. Here are a few shots I got today. I know they aren't good at all compared to most of the pictures I see on here, but I'm SO happy with how they're turning out considering my lack of experience.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #42
Site Supporter

This is a little like getting a new camera... vicariously.

Love the first one of the black pup. Good capture of the look on his/her face. And good DOF, too. Have fun!
10-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #43
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

Love the first one of the black pup. Good capture of the look on his/her face. And good DOF, too. Have fun!
Mate, its like experiencing a new camera personally hearing you go through the journey.

Enjoy.

The real power of better cameras to me is varying the apeture, whether you play with P mode, Av mode, TAv mode or M mode (with Pentax's unique green button (aka holy shit I'm confused button)) you'll have a blast.

And don't be afraid overexposed half a stop.
10-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #44

Original Poster

Thanks! I've never had a camera that took good pictures of her because they always make her face too dark or the rest of the picture too bright. That was taken on Auto so I was impressed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Enjoy.

The real power of better cameras to me is varying the apeture, whether you play with P mode, Av mode, TAv mode or M mode (with Pentax's unique green button (aka holy shit I'm confused button)) you'll have a blast.

I'm definitely enjoying it! The battery is recharging now so I'm reading up on all the different modes and how to use them properly. There are so many modes and features that I don't know where to start! Even though a lot of my pictures are awful right now, I'm having a lot of fun.
10-02-2015, 05:36 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See, it's not that tough. You can get as technical as you want - as you learn more you'll get even better.