Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Aloha from Volcano, California

(No, there's no Volcano here; it's an old Gold Rush town named by outsiders who couldn't tell a volcano from a hole in the ground. But my wife knows the difference.)

I grew up in a small darkroom outside Los Angeles (my dad was a semipro TLR shooter) and messed with chemical photography for many years, including as a job with the US Army. My personal obsession gear-wise was half-frame 35mm: Olympus PEN-FT, Canon Dial-35 and other small, cheap curiosities. I worked in B&W and brewed my own chemicals. Then I tired of small smelly darkrooms, and gave away almost everything, and we shot Kodacolor in an Olympus XA for too many years.

We soldered together a HeathKit H8 computer around 1980, then acquired some CP/M systems, then PC clones and image scanners and a frame grabber. I'd feed the latter from a Sony Hi8 camcorder and do terrible things to images in PaintShopPro. I still abuse PSP filters. So sue me.

In 2002 we went P&S digital with a Sony DSC-P20 (1.1 mp). The next year we upgraded to Sony DSC-P10 and DSC-V1 (both 5 mp) and played a bit with infrared filters. More recently, we got a Sony DSC-W7 and Olympus 770-SW (both 7 mp, the latter waterproof to 10 meters), and a 5 mp Minolta F300 modified internally for infrared.

A couple months back, I realized my budget could survive an equipment splurge. I googled for weeks and decided that I wanted 1) an affordable fisheye and 2) the most advanced body to mount it on. Only Pentax and Olympus had lenses that fit the bill, and current Oly DSLRs don't rate very well. The decision was clear.

The K20D arrived over a month ago, with a DA10-17 wide zoom, a DA18-250 walkaround, and an FA50/1.4 prime. The last few days, I've just gone bonkers on eBay, buying old cold-war Leica (M39) and Pentax (M42) screw-mount lenses. Did the Russians really build crisp contrasty optics? I'll find out after the orders arrive.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Until it changes. --RioRico

06-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A impressive lineup we all look forward to your photo post

Welcome and Hello

cheers
06-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome RioRico. I look forward to seeing what you come up with from your ebay buying spree. Post some photos when you get the chance.