Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 04:54 AM   #1

Pentax loyal fan already

Meow! from Philippines Well, I actually got my Pixie (q7) for almost a year ago. I was disappointed when I learned I can't do portrait/ fashion-thingy photog with its kit lens (02). Yea., still such a newbie here and I thought I could've just bought a real dslr + 50mm/1.8. But, I already became a fan of q7 and pentax in general.
Right now, I just want to make it work with my q7 with the advent of adapted lenses. I'm finding it hard to search on how to do fashion photography with it. So far, the option I see possible to do it is through an incredibly sharp vintage lens which I saw on a review. It's a SMC takumar 85mm/1.8 on a q7.
I'm about to buy it but I want to seek further advice here, if someone has tried it. Or are there any other options (still pentax) for portrait? Maybe I should've posted it somewhere else, but any input here will be greatly appreciated.

09-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The crop factor in the Q7 is 4.7x, which makes an 85mm the eqivalent to using a 400mm on a Full Frame or a 270mm on an APSC DSLR like the K50. That would require a really long working distance.

What about the current 02 zoom fails to work for you? Have you considered the 8.5mm prime lens?
09-28-2015, 07:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've considered getting that 01 but the sample photos and reviews tell it requires very close-up to get that good background blur- SMC Pentax-Q 01 Standard Prime 8.5mm F1.9 Reviews - Q-Mount Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.
This review made me consider the 85mm- Pentax Adapter Q for K-Mount Lenses Review & Rating | PCMag.com. I just was not sure about the quality of it because the subjects were statues, and if the blur was just right.
So, since it's really like multiplying the focal length by 5, should I eye for something close to 10mm to get an equivalent around 50mm? Does the aperture changes as well for adapted lens?
09-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lancemeow Quote
I've considered getting that 01 but the sample photos and reviews tell it requires very close-up to get that good background blur- SMC Pentax-Q 01 Standard Prime 8.5mm F1.9 Reviews - Q-Mount Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.
This review made me consider the 85mm- Pentax Adapter Q for K-Mount Lenses Review & Rating | PCMag.com. I just was not sure about the quality of it because the subjects were statues, and if the blur was just right.
So, since it's really like multiplying the focal length by 5, should I eye for something close to 10mm to get an equivalent around 50mm? Does the aperture changes as well for adapted lens?
The aperture doesn't change - so the f/1.9 lens is still f/1.9. However the effect of this aperture on DOF is different than you might expect. You are still using an 85mm for example. But you now back up a lot to get the shot - as though you used a 400mm. So the DOF seen at the distance you backed up to is the same as the 85 f/1.9 would have from that distance - but much more than a 400mm f/1.9 would have from that distance. In most ways it is like stopping the 400mm down several stops (to f/8 I think in this case)). This area of "equivalence" makes people nuts so just understand the small sensor makes DOF more pronounced.

I honestly don't have any recommendations. Fast wide aperture lenses are very hard to come by and they are heavy and large. I just don't see the Q cameras as being well adapted to fashion photography.

09-29-2015, 04:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ! Hope to see some images soon ! Salut, J
10-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you've some good advice there already and quickly too.
11-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lancemeow Quote
Welcome to the forum

You will have an awfully hard time getting background blur with the Q-series cameras - as well as the crop factor being x4.7, this multiplier also applies to the aperture (so I'm told) - hence, when shooting at, say, f2.8, this is apparently equivalent to 2.8 x 4.7 = f/13 on full frame. Even if you put a fast fifty on the camera - say, f/1.4 - the DOF would be equivalent to f/6.3 (roughly) on full frame (and focal length equivalent to 235mm!!), which just won't get you the blur you are looking for. Personally, I think your best bet is to create the blur in post-processing - something like Photoshop Elements, Gimp, or equivalent. I've seen some excellent and very convincing examples of this.

11-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the -01 lens is very nice. Do look for one, you'll like what you can do. Also don't forget to use lens hoods, they do help. It's too bad none are shipped with the lenses - I think that's a real oversight.
11-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yes, the -01 lens is very nice. Do look for one, you'll like what you can do. Also don't forget to use lens hoods, they do help. It's too bad none are shipped with the lenses - I think that's a real oversight.
Beware the official and also JJC hoods for the 02 zoom, though... it was designed with the Q sensor in mind, and vignettes on the Q7 at wider apertures. Not sure about the others.
11-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know you are in the Philippines, but the price for the K50 has fallen and will continue to fall until the supply is exhausted. This would be your best bet to supplement your Q7. Even with the 16MP sensor (design) on the K50 getting fairly old, it is still a wonderful sensor - that is extremely capable. That would eliminate the rather substantial crop factor of the Q7 that you are dealing with - that essentially forces you to move back in terms of shooting distance.

I would suspect that the K50's price going into this holiday season would soften a great deal. You might need to deal with an out of country camera (e.g., buy in the US) - which is somewhat strange since it was assembled in the Philippines. We have already seen new K50 body prices in the $250 US recently.

11-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
11-24-2015, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
thanks

thanks guys for all the advices., right now, I had to delay my pentax buying plans.
will definitely look into all those info when I earned up again. had to use my money
for things more important.

for the meantime, here are some photos taken with pixie during my unwinding trip to
the northern part of the Philippines- 1)Banaue Rice Terraces, 2) Benguet, Mt. Province, 3) Amphitheater Rice Terraces and 4) Tap-piya Falls in Batad, Banaue.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
11-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice pics. #1 is beautiful!
11-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you want some blur for your portrait, the 06 does a decent job when used around 30mm f2.8. However, the blur will obviously not be at the same level as what you get from a DSLR but still good enough to isolate your subject from the background. This works just fine for casual portraits. For formal portrait sessions and fashion photography, the Q - and more generally all small sensor systems- isn't the best tool for the job.