Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Inherited a Pentax P30N and a complete beginner

Hey guys,

As the title suggests, I've inherited a Pentax P30N from my dad. I was hoping people could give me some advice about taking photographs with it? I have absolutely NO background in photography and I haven't shot any pictures off of the manual setting yet

I've posted a link to a tumblr where all the photos I've taken to date are. Please feel free to rip them to shreds/post some words of wisdom!!

Any and all advice is highly appreciated - I don't even know where to start!

Cheers,
Alex

---------- Post added 09-28-15 at 04:06 PM ----------

Blakers Park Massive

09-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're just starting out and want to learn the ins and outs of photography, take a look at this article on exposure:

The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Once you get the hang of how to exposure your pictures and how to change settings on your camera, you'll be good to go.

Note that the P30t supports P mode (automatic shutter speed/aperture), Av mode (aperture priority, you set the aperture camera sets the shutter speed), and M mode (you set both). Tv mode (shutter priority) is not supported.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2015, 04:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France, Alex, and welcome to PF ! Hope to see some more images soon ! Salut, J
10-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, one thing a lot of folk forget when they're starting out is... enjoy your photography good, bad or indifferent, enjoy the whole learning curve and don't get all wrapped around the axle with it.

10-04-2015, 02:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words everybody I will hopefully learn a lot from you guys!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, one thing a lot of folk forget when they're starting out is... enjoy your photography good, bad or indifferent, enjoy the whole learning curve and don't get all wrapped around the axle with it.
I'll also have to remember this!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're just starting out and want to learn the ins and outs of photography, take a look at this article on exposure:

The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Once you get the hang of how to exposure your pictures and how to change settings on your camera, you'll be good to go.

Note that the P30t supports P mode (automatic shutter speed/aperture), Av mode (aperture priority, you set the aperture camera sets the shutter speed), and M mode (you set both). Tv mode (shutter priority) is not supported.
A very informative article, Adam. Thanks so much for sending the link!

Last edited by Alex Holdgate; 10-04-2015 at 03:38 AM.