Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Inbound: K1000

Hi Folks -

New around here...After eyeballing K1000's for a couple of weeks (after hearing how great the are) I finally got one. While doing some Googling on the lens that's coming with it (Vivitar PK-A/R) I found this site. Gotten more in to photography - specifically film - this year after getting a DSLR (Ironic, no?). I have enough film cameras that I'm sure it's starting to be indicative of some problem...but it's a reasonably inexpensive problem, so I'm willing to live with it.

Anyway, good to meet you all...

TBD

09-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Yes, I too succumbed to film camera acquisition when prices fell. I now have about a hundred. Such lovely things. While my K1000 sees less use than my MX or KX it's certainly a fine camera. Enjoy them as long as you can.
10-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theboatdude Quote
but it's a reasonably inexpensive problem
Welcome to the forum, you may not say that after you've handled your first must have LX.
10-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF !!!

Hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J

10-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you may not say that after you've handled your first must have LX.
Fair point, that. However, due to general cheapness, I've been able to [ahem] justify my camera habit by sticking to units that are <$50, which - after doing some checking - the LX defiintely isn't
10-05-2015, 05:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I too succumbed to film camera acquisition when prices fell. I now have about a hundred.
And I thought I had problems...

Welcome to the club, OP.
10-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theboatdude Quote
Fair point, that. However, due to general cheapness, I've been able to [ahem] justify my camera habit by sticking to units that are <$50, which - after doing some checking - the LX defiintely isn't
I've gotten the same affliction in the last couple of years. Once expensive state of the art, for their time, camera's are now cheap charlies because of the technological leap from film to digital and hardly anybody wants them. It's fun to take out camera's that were once considered state of the art for their time, that you paid $25 for, just to have the fun of seeing what you can do with them. B&W you develop yourself and a good negative scanner make it all as affordable as a day out on the boat.....if the boat isn't too large.
10-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Niner Alpha Quote
B&W you develop yourself and a good negative scanner make it all as affordable as a day out on the boat.....if the boat isn't too large.
I've heard it's possible to do this all in a darkbag and not need a dedicated room set aside. If so, I might be tempted to dabble...

10-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
Forum Member

I use a changing bag I got for less than $25. Once you get the film on the reel and in the tank with the lid on, everything else can be done in the light.
10-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I just developed a couple rolls over the weekend. Uncork the cassettes with a bottle opener, thread onto spools, and lock down the tank inside a dark bag, and the rest is done in the kitchen sink (unless somebody's cooking, then I have to find another place to do it.)

Here's an example.

B/W Film Scan taken with Pentax KX on Kentmere 100 with Pentax-M 35/2 by Jason Doss, on Flickr
10-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool. Link to method?
10-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

At last!!!

Someone finally found that long lost Pentax full frame!!

EDIT - Congrats. Shooting a K1000 is WAY more fun than digital.
10-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter

This is what I used.
10-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter

this should be your new home here: Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com welcome aboard!
10-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Niner Alpha Quote
it all as affordable as a day out on the boat.....if the boat isn't too large.
That's the first time I've seen "affordable" and "boat" used in the same sentence! But your point is well taken - I have a dark bag, tank, etc... and will be doing my own B/W developing. For that matter, I might even get bold and give C-41 a shot (I'm told it's fairly doable, but you have to be on top of your temps).