Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Hi from Indiana!

Hi guys,

I just got on the Pentax wagon when I saw the K3 + 50 mm prime deal on Adorama, couldn't pass it up! I'm new to photography, but this site has been very helpful for learning what I have so far. The camera arrived just last week and I've already snapped off a few hundred pics (was in DC over the weekend, and saw the National Air and Space annex out near Dulles, very cool).

While I'm making this post I may as well ask a question. I'll be going on another trip to AZ later this year, and am interested in picking up a solid wide angle lens for the trip (I'm thinking Sigma 10-20 mm or similar rectilinear.) Are there any particularly good times of the year when you can find lenses for extra good prices on B&H or Adorama? I'm thinking of Black Friday/Cyber Monday specifically, but any others?

Thanks, and I'm excited to be here!

10-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's a great deal the K-3 right now.
Enjoy your camera and welcome to the forum!
10-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Auralgeek Quote
I'm thinking of Black Friday/Cyber Monday specifically, but any others?
Many of the current prices are actually lower than last year's black friday prices (you can check last year's prices on our homepage if you'd like). There will probably be some great deals during the year's big sale, but everyday prices this year have been setting record lows. Also, remember that both store have a 30-day price guarantee

Edit: and yup, this: Pentax K-3 + Lens for $649 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Many of the current prices are actually lower than last year's black friday prices (you can check last year's prices on our homepage if you'd like). There will probably be some great deals during the year's big sale, but everyday prices this year have been setting record lows. Also, remember that both store have a 30-day price guarantee

Edit: and yup, this: Pentax K-3 + Lens for $649 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com
Yes, I had noticed that prices in general seem to be quite good. I wonder if we'll see much additional discount for this years Black Friday, or if the already low prices will basically just hold? Perhaps I'm being too greedy...

10-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, I had noticed that prices in general seem to be quite good. I wonder if we'll see much additional discount for this years Black Friday, or if the already low prices will basically just hold? Perhaps I'm being too greedy...
I think lenses that aren't already being discounted that heavily will see drops. Other lenses might not, but we'll have to wait and see. There's also room for deals on the K-3 and K-3 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember the used market here at the Marketplace.

It's a great way to feed your habit.
There are nice WA and UWA options like the 10-20 lenses and the unique Sigma 8-16mm
10-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
I've been poking around there, some, too! The UWAs I've seen get snapped up pretty quick, and I don't think many folks are willing to part with them in my price range. You're right though, I think the marketplace would be a better bet than a Black Friday sale if I wanted to really maximize my lens quality / $.

Worst case, getting the 18-55 WR kit from somebody for cheap wouldn't be too bad. I'd certainly rather a 10 mm shot of the Grand Canyon, but hey, you get what you pay for. :/
10-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome!

It's pretty weird, pairing a 50mm lens and an APS-C camera. Your first lens is a telephoto? Oh wait, Pentax doesn't make a cheap 35mm-focal length fast-aperture lens...

The Sigma 10-20 pops up here used from time to time. It's ok, but distortion is an issue. I'd not may more than $300 for a new one b/c there are better ways to spend your money, and that's what the Sigma goes for when it's on sale. Be patient if you can, or buy used.

10-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Emperor and Senpai

I'd also snag an 18-135 for your trip. I had the Tamron 10-24 before I bought the Sigma 8-16, and both are great. You will use an UWA on a trip out west.
10-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hi guys,

I just got on the Pentax wagon when I saw the K3 + 50 mm prime deal on Adorama, couldn't pass it up! I'm new to photography, but this site has been very helpful for learning what I have so far. The camera arrived just last week and I've already snapped off a few hundred pics (was in DC over the weekend, and saw the National Air and Space annex out near Dulles, very cool).

While I'm making this post I may as well ask a question. I'll be going on another trip to AZ later this year, and am interested in picking up a solid wide angle lens for the trip (I'm thinking Sigma 10-20 mm or similar rectilinear.) Are there any particularly good times of the year when you can find lenses for extra good prices on B&H or Adorama? I'm thinking of Black Friday/Cyber Monday specifically, but any others?

Thanks, and I'm excited to be here!
Welcome, I think the Sigma will be a good choice. I have a Tamron 10-24 and also a DA 15 Ltd. The 15 is a fantastic lens, but that extra 5mm makes a big difference, I like the 10-24 and it's really sharp, but it can be prone to flare, I've heard the Sigma is better in that regard.

If you can try to get over to Dayton to the Air Force Museum, it's a fantastic air and space museum and it is very large with great displays of aircraft, very camera friendly, they allow tripods.
10-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Welcome!

It's pretty weird, pairing a 50mm lens and an APS-C camera. Your first lens is a telephoto? Oh wait, Pentax doesn't make a cheap 35mm-focal length fast-aperture lens...

The Sigma 10-20 pops up here used from time to time. It's ok, but distortion is an issue. I'd not may more than $300 for a new one b/c there are better ways to spend your money, and that's what the Sigma goes for when it's on sale. Be patient if you can, or buy used.
Haha, yeah, I personally would have preferred the 35mm, but the Adorama deal came with the 50mm. I'll definitely pick up the 35mm eventually, but for the moment it's a second priority to a UWA, fairly even on the wish list with the 18-55. Thanks for the advice on the pricing, too, that's quite helpful to know! It gives me a rough idea of what I can probably expect, or shoot for.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I'd also snag an 18-135 for your trip. I had the Tamron 10-24 before I bought the Sigma 8-16, and both are great. You will use an UWA on a trip out west.
The 18-135 does look pretty awesome, but it seems a bit pricey to me. I think a better path (for me and my budget) may be snag a 18-55 wr for real cheap when it shows itself, and later on grab one of the 55-200s if I decide telephoto is something I want to get more into. That said, I know the 18-135 is a really popular lens around here, and there is a lot to be said for having that focal range all in one. I'll keep my eyes pealed for a deal if it presents.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you can try to get over to Dayton to the Air Force Museum, it's a fantastic air and space museum and it is very large with great displays of aircraft, very camera friendly, they allow tripods.
Yes, I've been there several times, and I agree that it's a really amazing display. I'll need to make sure to visit again now that I have a proper camera.
10-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The USAF Museum has started moving aircraft into the new fourth hangar. It will be nice to get the experimental aircraft back from their exile on the base, so we can take some time to see them. The only downside is that the hangar on the base was probably better-lit than the main buildings but it's not like the planes are moving...

And yes, you're going to pay a bit for UWA lenses. They're specialized lenses and people do tend to hang on to them. Another option is the DA 16-45, though that's getting hard to find. It's better than the 18-55 but is not WR and has a reputation for fragility, though I've never had a problem.

I can also say that the 18-135 is more expensive than the 18-55 but is much more useful and has a higher image quality reputation.
10-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to hear that your putting that great kit to good use.