Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
canon convert

Greetings,

New member here (obviously). Just picked up a K-5 II for a steal and sold my ever aging T2i. Ordered up a 50mm 1.8 to go with it. Plan on getting some more glass soon. I'm primarily into shooting landscapes and i've started doing some astrophotography. I'm glad I finally have a weather sealed camera for some thunderstorm timelapses. Hoping to find some good info here.

Thanks

10-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,221
Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of good information here, just do a search for what you need.
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,377
Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy your new camera!
10-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Welcome to Pentax Forums. The K-5iis is a popular body here, so your thoughts on using it, after your experience with the Canon T2i (EOS 550D outside the USA and Japan) will be interesting.

10-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,284
QuoteOriginally posted by akawillis Quote
I'm glad I finally have a weather sealed camera for some thunderstorm timelapses. Hoping to find some good info here.
Not weather sealed. *Weather Resistant* (WR) You still need to take care in rain let alone thunderstorms. And make sure your lens is also WR, otherwise you have effectively lost WR.
10-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,622
When it comes to lenses FA Limited and DA Limited lenses are where its at. You don't need to look much further that that to find primo glass.

I would think a designated WR lens should do fine for general elements. Some people push theirs further than others so your mileage may vary. Just don't toss your camera into the river expecting it to be able to handle such.
10-20-2015, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,778
QuoteOriginally posted by akawillis Quote
Greetings,

New member here (obviously). Just picked up a K-5 II for a steal and sold my ever aging T2i. Ordered up a 50mm 1.8 to go with it. Plan on getting some more glass soon. I'm primarily into shooting landscapes and i've started doing some astrophotography. I'm glad I finally have a weather sealed camera for some thunderstorm timelapses. Hoping to find some good info here.

Thanks


Welcome to a camera system with actual dynamic resolution. From T2i to K-5 II is a nice upgrade.

To expand on what steve mentioned, you need to have both a weather sealed camera body (check) AND weather sealed camera lens (not check) -- that 50mm f/1.8 has no weather sealing on it. Any of the lenses that have the * (asterick/star -- DA*) have weather seals, any lens with WR has weather seals, and any lens with AW after the name has weather seals.

AW
DA*
WR

in that order from most sealed to least

That said, even the WR lenses are capable of most showers... just don't remove te lens from the body in the field, you break the seal!

Take a look at the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, 16-85 WR, and 18-135 WR for a nice walkaround, sealed lens.

Also, NONE of the Pentax DSLR cameras or lenses are rated for water submersion. A shower, snow fall, misting.. those things are fine. However, taking it out into a lake or ocean is a surefire way to destroy your Pentax camera.


Happy photographing!
10-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,664
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Welcome to a camera system with actual dynamic resolution. From T2i to K-5 II is a nice upgrade.

To expand on what steve mentioned, you need to have both a weather sealed camera body (check) AND weather sealed camera lens (not check) -- that 50mm f/1.8 has no weather sealing on it. Any of the lenses that have the * (asterick/star -- DA*) have weather seals, any lens with WR has weather seals, and any lens with AW after the name has weather seals.

AW
DA*
WR

in that order from most sealed to least

That said, even the WR lenses are capable of most showers... just don't remove te lens from the body in the field, you break the seal!

Take a look at the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, 16-85 WR, and 18-135 WR for a nice walkaround, sealed lens.

Also, NONE of the Pentax DSLR cameras or lenses are rated for water submersion. A shower, snow fall, misting.. those things are fine. However, taking it out into a lake or ocean is a surefire way to destroy your Pentax camera.


Happy photographing!
That should be a sticky, Mee - well done on managing expectations.

10-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Not weather sealed. *Weather Resistant* (WR) You still need to take care in rain let alone thunderstorms. And make sure your lens is also WR, otherwise you have effectively lost WR.
Thank you for the clarification. I definitely wouldn't be submerging the camera. Just that short amount of time you have once the clouds have moved directly over head and you're rushing out to grab your stuff before it pours. It gives me a little bit of a safety blanket.

---------- Post added 10-20-15 at 03:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Welcome to a camera system with actual dynamic resolution. From T2i to K-5 II is a nice upgrade.

To expand on what steve mentioned, you need to have both a weather sealed camera body (check) AND weather sealed camera lens (not check) -- that 50mm f/1.8 has no weather sealing on it. Any of the lenses that have the * (asterick/star -- DA*) have weather seals, any lens with WR has weather seals, and any lens with AW after the name has weather seals.

AW
DA*
WR

in that order from most sealed to least

That said, even the WR lenses are capable of most showers... just don't remove te lens from the body in the field, you break the seal!

Take a look at the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, 16-85 WR, and 18-135 WR for a nice walkaround, sealed lens.

Also, NONE of the Pentax DSLR cameras or lenses are rated for water submersion. A shower, snow fall, misting.. those things are fine. However, taking it out into a lake or ocean is a surefire way to destroy your Pentax camera.


Happy photographing!
Thank you as well for the info. I just needed a cheap pick up lens to grab and the 50mm is always a solid and cheap first one. I will be wanting a good weather resistant* wide angle.
10-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
sholtzma's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Salisbury, NC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw#t=25


Not to contradict what the wise posters have already told you, but the above two videos should tell you that you might be able to push the limits of weather resistance. (winky) WR Pentax bodies are quite "resistant"....
10-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,664
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw#t=25

Pentax K-30 Hands-On Field Test - YouTube

Not to contradict what the wise posters have already told you, but the above two videos should tell you that you might be able to push the limits of weather resistance. (winky) WR Pentax bodies are quite "resistant"....

Wish you didn't encourage this, Sholtzma.


Pentax do not have to honour water damage, for instance, the warranty makes this quite clear, and the devices have no accepted water ingress rating.


Still, this is a second hand unit Akawillis has bought and isn't subject to a claim anyway.
10-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
robgski's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,123
FWIW, I took my K-5 and the 18-55 WR Kit lens out on a stormy day that varied from drizzle to full on shower, and it was just fine, the worst problem I had was water drops on the lens



I do second the idea of NOT changing lenses in bad weatehr, and of you are in a sandy/dusty environment, brush off as much of it as possible before loosening the lens from the body.
10-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian
debakarma's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,278
welcome onboard. the K5II and the 50/1.8 is a great combination. Enjoy picture taking and then do post some.
10-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,284
Agree with all of the above re WR. But make sure you also have a WR lens fitted
10-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,664
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Agree with all of the above re WR. But make sure you also have a WR lens fitted
.. and don't zoom! :-D
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, da*, lens, lenses, pentax, seals, weather, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon Convert barcooter Welcomes and Introductions 4 05-26-2013 03:30 PM
Canon 50D to Pentax K20D convert. Bionetta Welcomes and Introductions 4 06-10-2010 12:56 PM
Canon convert needs help with Pentax lens! nitrox28 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 12-15-2009 07:37 AM
Maybe, almost a new Canon to Pentax Convert...maybe.. ;) brecklundin Welcomes and Introductions 34 07-09-2009 10:13 PM
Prospective Pentax convert (from Canon) gwach Pentax DSLR Discussion 51 02-21-2009 10:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top