Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

canon convert

Greetings,

New member here (obviously). Just picked up a K-5 II for a steal and sold my ever aging T2i. Ordered up a 50mm 1.8 to go with it. Plan on getting some more glass soon. I'm primarily into shooting landscapes and i've started doing some astrophotography. I'm glad I finally have a weather sealed camera for some thunderstorm timelapses. Hoping to find some good info here.

Thanks

10-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of good information here, just do a search for what you need.
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy your new camera!
10-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums. The K-5iis is a popular body here, so your thoughts on using it, after your experience with the Canon T2i (EOS 550D outside the USA and Japan) will be interesting.

10-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by akawillis Quote
I'm glad I finally have a weather sealed camera for some thunderstorm timelapses. Hoping to find some good info here.
Not weather sealed. *Weather Resistant* (WR) You still need to take care in rain let alone thunderstorms. And make sure your lens is also WR, otherwise you have effectively lost WR.
10-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

When it comes to lenses FA Limited and DA Limited lenses are where its at. You don't need to look much further that that to find primo glass.

I would think a designated WR lens should do fine for general elements. Some people push theirs further than others so your mileage may vary. Just don't toss your camera into the river expecting it to be able to handle such.
10-20-2015, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akawillis Quote
Greetings,

New member here (obviously). Just picked up a K-5 II for a steal and sold my ever aging T2i. Ordered up a 50mm 1.8 to go with it. Plan on getting some more glass soon. I'm primarily into shooting landscapes and i've started doing some astrophotography. I'm glad I finally have a weather sealed camera for some thunderstorm timelapses. Hoping to find some good info here.

Thanks

Welcome to a camera system with actual dynamic resolution. From T2i to K-5 II is a nice upgrade.

To expand on what steve mentioned, you need to have both a weather sealed camera body (check) AND weather sealed camera lens (not check) -- that 50mm f/1.8 has no weather sealing on it. Any of the lenses that have the * (asterick/star -- DA*) have weather seals, any lens with WR has weather seals, and any lens with AW after the name has weather seals.

AW
DA*
WR

in that order from most sealed to least

That said, even the WR lenses are capable of most showers... just don't remove te lens from the body in the field, you break the seal!

Take a look at the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, 16-85 WR, and 18-135 WR for a nice walkaround, sealed lens.

Also, NONE of the Pentax DSLR cameras or lenses are rated for water submersion. A shower, snow fall, misting.. those things are fine. However, taking it out into a lake or ocean is a surefire way to destroy your Pentax camera.

Happy photographing!
10-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Welcome to a camera system with actual dynamic resolution. From T2i to K-5 II is a nice upgrade.

To expand on what steve mentioned, you need to have both a weather sealed camera body (check) AND weather sealed camera lens (not check) -- that 50mm f/1.8 has no weather sealing on it. Any of the lenses that have the * (asterick/star -- DA*) have weather seals, any lens with WR has weather seals, and any lens with AW after the name has weather seals.

AW
DA*
WR

That said, even the WR lenses are capable of most showers... just don't remove te lens from the body in the field, you break the seal!

Take a look at the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, 16-85 WR, and 18-135 WR for a nice walkaround, sealed lens.

Also, NONE of the Pentax DSLR cameras or lenses are rated for water submersion. A shower, snow fall, misting.. those things are fine. However, taking it out into a lake or ocean is a surefire way to destroy your Pentax camera.

Happy photographing!
That should be a sticky, Mee - well done on managing expectations.

10-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Not weather sealed. *Weather Resistant* (WR) You still need to take care in rain let alone thunderstorms. And make sure your lens is also WR, otherwise you have effectively lost WR.
Thank you for the clarification. I definitely wouldn't be submerging the camera. Just that short amount of time you have once the clouds have moved directly over head and you're rushing out to grab your stuff before it pours. It gives me a little bit of a safety blanket.

---------- Post added 10-20-15 at 03:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

AW
DA*
WR

Happy photographing!
Thank you as well for the info. I just needed a cheap pick up lens to grab and the 50mm is always a solid and cheap first one. I will be wanting a good weather resistant* wide angle.
10-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw#t=25

Not to contradict what the wise posters have already told you, but the above two videos should tell you that you might be able to push the limits of weather resistance. (winky) WR Pentax bodies are quite "resistant"....
10-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw#t=25

Pentax K-30 Hands-On Field Test - YouTube

Not to contradict what the wise posters have already told you, but the above two videos should tell you that you might be able to push the limits of weather resistance. (winky) WR Pentax bodies are quite "resistant"....

Wish you didn't encourage this, Sholtzma.

Pentax do not have to honour water damage, for instance, the warranty makes this quite clear, and the devices have no accepted water ingress rating.

Still, this is a second hand unit Akawillis has bought and isn't subject to a claim anyway.
10-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I took my K-5 and the 18-55 WR Kit lens out on a stormy day that varied from drizzle to full on shower, and it was just fine, the worst problem I had was water drops on the lens

I do second the idea of NOT changing lenses in bad weatehr, and of you are in a sandy/dusty environment, brush off as much of it as possible before loosening the lens from the body.
10-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

welcome onboard. the K5II and the 50/1.8 is a great combination. Enjoy picture taking and then do post some.
10-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Agree with all of the above re WR. But make sure you also have a WR lens fitted
10-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Agree with all of the above re WR. But make sure you also have a WR lens fitted
.. and don't zoom! :-D