Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hi all - New Pentax user here

Hi Everyone,

Glad to meet you all and hoping to learn a lot from these forums. I am new to DSLR photography and to Pentax. Moved from a Canon SX-150 Point and shoot to a Pentax K-50. Was a great point and shoot with a dedicated Manual mode, which I exploited to a large extent for around 4 years, but which also left a lot to be desired. So moved to a DSLR. Why Pentax? Not sure really, but was sort of a spit second decision. Because at the price range, nobody offered a weather sealed camera. Also the camera was highly rated from the reviews that I read. And also in part because I wanted to stand out from the crowd of Canon and Nikon users.

I want to focus mostly on Landscape photography. Because I just love scenery. Everytime I come across some scenic view, the first thought that run across my mind is to capture it on camera. I think that is reason enough to be interested in Landscape photography. But capturing the perfect scene is of course not enough. I want to also make it look as good as is possible. I guess that involves studying composition, tools like filters and the witchcraft that is post processing. I know some very basic post processing but I want to master it to the extent that it becomes intuitive and second nature-like.

I am also interested in HDR photography. I have dabbled in it during my point-and-shoot years. HDR just make the scene look unreal. And I like that. It is like extracting jewels out of nature. I guess I can do a lot more in this field with an SLR. I would also like to get my hands wet in other areas like portraits.

Well, hope I haven't been boring you with this lengthy intro. Have a nice day.

---------- Post added 10-22-15 at 04:13 AM ----------

Oh yeah, my name's Mayuresh by the way. And am from Toronto, Canada.

10-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Mayuresh. Welcome to the Forums and the Pentax family This is a great place to get answers to your questions.
10-22-2015, 04:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome Mayuresh! I'm sure you'll enjoy your Pentax K-50 and photography in general!
10-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome fellow Canadian, the K-50 is a great camera!

10-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Welcome! You're at the right place! Everything you need is right here. Spend some time just roaming around so you will be familiar with all the things available for your future needs!

Should you come across a few squirrels (literally) , pay them no mind, they are mostly harmless and mean well. Lots of really fine people here at PForums willing and able to help you advance your photographic desires.

Best Regards!
Rupert
10-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome onboard Mayuresh. The K-50 is good choice. There are tons of landscape lovers here. If you need true inspiration look at some of the landscapes in the Medium Format section. DSLR wise you wont certainly be disappointed either. A good earning place too.
10-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!

10-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome and best wishes.
10-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey, thanks a lot guys. For the welcome and the starter tips. Really appreciate it. Looking forward to be a part of this fraternity! Happy snapping!
10-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome also to "standing out from the crowd", it's a very cool feeling.