Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 02:34 AM   #1

Hello

Hi.

I am a Pentax user from Launceston, in Tasmania, Australia. I started with a Pentax MZ-30 in about 1999, which I still have and probably will always have, although obtaining and processing film is getting harder and harder. I also own a recently deceased *istDS, and am trying to work out what to replace it with. Previousy I have entered my photography in National and International salons, with moderate success, but since having my daughter my photography has moved to more family orientated/scrapbook type shots. I have a keen interest in capturing the Aurora Australis (or Southern Lights), which I have not been able to do since my camera died :-(.

I have joined the forum to try to help me decide which camera to purchase, as my local camera stores do not keep Pentax on the shelf, so I am forced to buy on-line and don't want to make the wrong choice. I am trying to decide between the KS-2 or the K5. My dad has the K5, so I have had a little play with it, but it is light years removed from my old *istDS

All advice gratefully accepted, and I hope to learn heaps from this forum

10-31-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
Personally I'd choose the K-5 over K-S2, but that's just me.
10-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. If you get a K-5IIs, you could be using it for quite sometime without upgrading - the price difference between K5 and the K5iis is only marginal. There will be a lot of cameras on sale as soon as FF is out, so if you are not in a hurry, you might wait.

The Pentax K-5IIs has no anti-alias filter in front of the sensor and thus promises higher resolution and cleaner images but there is a chance that moire patterns become visible.
11-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MZ30 Quote
as my local camera stores do not keep Pentax on the shelf
Welcome to the forum, that's a pretty much the same for most folk with Pentax, it helps to keeps us special.

11-02-2015, 01:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum