Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #1

Thoughts about the new Pentax K-S2 for users in India

I have been looking and researching for a good upper-entry level DSLR with many enthusiast and pro features for some time now.
The obvious choices were the Nikon D5500, Canon 750D/760D, and the Pentax K-S2.

Till now I had ignored the Pentax K-S2 because body & Lens availability and pricing (often overpriced) has been a huge issue for acceptance of Pentax DSLRs in general in my region (India). So I used to generally ignore this one & rather concentrate on Nikon D5500 & Canon 760D/750D.

I wasn't happy with the 760D's sensor performance, it clearly lags behind Nikon even with it's brand new sensor, in ISO & Dynamic range performance. & I wasnt happy with the number of customizations & lack of features in the D5500.

few days back I saw That The Pentax K-S2 has been selling with 18-50 + 50-200 kit lens for a very competitive price (~53-55K rupees). This tempted me to dig more into it. I still wasn't considering it because of the Lens availability & Pricing issues.
But then I saw that the very sharp 50mm f/1.8 is available for a very competitive price (~6-7K rupees).

Now this is a nice way to start you way into DSLR photography, - even though this lens issue is still there for other lenses & Pentax is not anywhere near the likes of Canon & Nikon (in both cases, proprietary & third-party)

I was blown away with the amount of features available in this one. This could be a good competition for the mid-ranges from Canon & Nikon (70D & D7100/D7200).

The Image quality is pretty near the Nikon (although DXOmark ratings for the K-S1 shows the Dynamic range dipping in the mid ISO ranges below 760D, would like to see if K-S2 shows some improvements once DXOmark tests are out for K-S2)

feature wise this gem beats both D5500 & 760D hands down, & Especially the D5500, & includes many features prived by Canon & Nikon only in their Mid-range APSc.

The only major cases where the K-S2 falls behind Canon & Nikon is:

- less focus points in case of OVF (better AF system would have complemented the Pentaprism well)
-Lack of touch (would have been really helpful in navigating the extensive menu, but well compensated for by ample buttons & dials)
-Weight & battery life.
-Video performance.

10-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
10-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Anu, Welcome to the forum. Its rare to see Pentax in India as it is not widely available here. With all the advanced DSLR features, specially weather sealing, in-body SR etc., price/performance is definitely better value to Indian customers. However Pentax does a super-lousy marketing job regarding store placement and availability, and since the camera business contributes probably less than 1% of Ricoh's revenues in India, its kind of neglected.

Most Indian forum members buy their Pentax equipment abroad and get it via friends/relatives. So if you go that route, get a K3. For around INR 40K, you get the whole deal with the body, DA50 f1.8 + flash (see Pentax Deals). Of course, warranty will not be local, but then the K3 is pretty robust and most issues with the first batches have been ironed out.

If you are looking at weight and video performance, then Pentax is less than ideal, but not too bad either. Pentax cameras are really made for photographers, so I particularly find the buttons/dials and menu pretty intuitive. I also like the weight, which provides that substantial heft and ruggedness of the camera.

Having said all this the K-S2 is pretty nice camera too (going by the specs, I dont own one). In India you can still find the vintage Takumars and K/M/A series lenses in unexpected places, which are great joy to use - and in the hand of a good photographer, can result in many keepers.

All the best - buy Pentax, be the difference - be happy.
11-01-2015, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, try not get too tied up in all the technical stuff, it's really all about how well does it capture images that work for you.

11-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
K3 for 40K ?

I India the K-3 costs around 60-70K

is the 40K figure from direct $ to rupee conversion? but wont there be certain extra duty/cost involved? hence increasing cost.
11-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
Hello Anu, Welcome to the forum. Its rare to see Pentax in India as it is not widely available here. With all the advanced DSLR features, specially weather sealing, in-body SR etc., price/performance is definitely better value to Indian customers. However Pentax does a super-lousy marketing job regarding store placement and availability, and since the camera business contributes probably less than 1% of Ricoh's revenues in India, its kind of neglected.

Most Indian forum members buy their Pentax equipment abroad and get it via friends/relatives. So if you go that route, get a K3. For around INR 40K, you get the whole deal with the body, DA50 f1.8 + flash (see Pentax Deals). Of course, warranty will not be local, but then the K3 is pretty robust and most issues with the first batches have been ironed out.

If you are looking at weight and video performance, then Pentax is less than ideal, but not too bad either. Pentax cameras are really made for photographers, so I particularly find the buttons/dials and menu pretty intuitive. I also like the weight, which provides that substantial heft and ruggedness of the camera.

Having said all this the K-S2 is pretty nice camera too (going by the specs, I dont own one). In India you can still find the vintage Takumars and K/M/A series lenses in unexpected places, which are great joy to use - and in the hand of a good photographer, can result in many keepers.

All the best - buy Pentax, be the difference - be happy.
I India the K-3 costs around 60-70K

is the 40K figure from direct $ to rupee conversion? but wont there be certain extra duty/cost involved? hence increasing cost.
11-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks a lot :-)
11-01-2015, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Not if someone bought it for you from the US.

11-02-2015, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Now this is a nice way to start you way into DSLR photography, - even though this lens issue is still there for other lenses & Pentax is not anywhere near the likes of Canon & Nikon (in both cases, proprietary & third-party)
I usually suggest that prospective pentaxians investigate whether the Pentax and 3rd party lens lineups offer the lenses they are personally interested in.

It's trivially true that the sheer number of lens offerings is larger for the big two brands. But - the difference is mostly in expensive lenses and exotica such as tilt-shift lenses, supertelephotos and f/1.4 wideangles.

The big two brands' APS-C lens offerings is decidedly weak, IMHO. They suggest that you buy 35mm lenses to fill the gaps, putting you up with larger lenses than necessary.

The Pentax lineup has some unique standouts too:
- affordable weathersealed lenses
- characterful all-metal pancake primes
- the FA limiteds
- The largest lineup of APS-C specific (meaning smaller) lenses among all manufacturers.

So what would you rather have access to? Lots of +2k$ exotics, zeiss otuses and ginormous Sigma art beasts, or compact, affordable Pentax lenses?

(and BTW, eg. Nikon has done a good job at putting out affordable f/1.8 primes lately. That also counts for something. And the Nikkor 35mm/1.8 is nice. And the Canon 10-18 is nice and affordable too. etc.)

So to sum it up: Don't look at the number of lenses available, look at the types of lenses available in relation to what you want. That's key, IMHO.

Regards,
--Anders.