Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #1

New Pentaxian

Hi All,
I'm a new Pentaxian who has been taking photos for half of my short life, so over a decade, but didn't I get a DSLR until a year and a half ago. I started with a Canon Rebel t3i but fortunately it was stolen from me and I upgraded to a k5 iis under the guidance of a fellow pentaxian shaman. I'm still blown away by how well by 18 to 135 millimeters stock lens performs, but I really like the F 28 millimeter 2.8 despite its horrid appearance. I know the m 50 millimeter 1.7 is a legend but I'm too noob to really do manual focus. I'm actively seeking out a FA 50 millimeter 1.7 in the meantime. Also have a Sigma 12 - 24 millimeter 4 5.6 which I'm a little bit disappointed with turns out wide angle lenses are a lot harder to use than I thought... Open to any tips and happy to have such an awesome for community to learn from.

11-02-2015, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome indeed

Welcome to the forum Jadon.

Tip for the wide angle?

Look for something to place in the foreground that is interesting with a great backdrop. Now get as close as you can to the foreground subject and work the rule of thirds for the foreground subject and horizon so the foreground subject is in the frame with a great backdrop behind it. Stuck? Try a person. A landscape with a person, even in silhouette can be lifted from nice to wow.

Take some images, then using the same foreground subject try some different compositions and angles. Wide angles are great fun but you need to create a reason for a person to be looking at your image, and once you've worked that out they can open your eyes to many great scenes worth capturing.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 11-02-2015 at 03:04 AM. Reason: typo
11-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
11-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #4

Welcome

11-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jadon Quote
I'm a little bit disappointed with turns out wide angle lenses are a lot harder to use than I thought...
Welcome to the forum, with a little more practice with them and you'll find yourself hooked to the world of WA.
11-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Jadon.

Re wide angle, what @Tas said (excellent post). One trick I'd add is, if you are photographing a person wider than about 18mm, try to put them towards the centre, otherwise they will appear too fat. With a head shot you can give someone a doe-eyed look if the eyes are near the centre.

It's handy to have software to correct unwanted distortion with an ultrawide lens. I use DxO ViewPoint - available with DxO Optics Pro or as a plug-in for Lightroom. Easy to use and works well. Whether you want to depends on the effect. Here are trees adjusted in one but not the other

11-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. The K5iis is great camera. The F28/2.8 is nice lens to have for cramped spaces and focusses fast and accurately in the worst conditions.