Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Newbie.. :)

Hello l!!

So happy to have found this forum! I was given a complete Pentax Kx and a K7 as a gift from a friend over the summer, and while I like it, I know I'm not doing some things properly and came looking to learn more about them.

I live in the heart of New Orleans, and am often found wandering in the French Quarter with my camera. In fact, when locals see me without it, they think something is wrong! I started with a Fuji back in the day, and slowly worked my way up to a Canon xTi. When it basically died on me, is when my friend gave me my Penatx. I am Semi Pro, and do a lot of events here in New Orleans, as well as a lot of music shots.

I am hoping to learn more about the lenses given to me and what they are capable of, as I've only been working with three. My 18-250 is currently in " stuck " mode..so I've been using my kit 18-55 and my sigma 10-22. I'm not getting the shots I need and I hope to learn a bit more in order to be more consistent in my shots, and to rise to the next level. I have several other lenses, but I really have no clue in what setting some of them would be used, and hope to find more info here about them as well.

Looking super forward to getting to know ya'll!!!

11-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
11-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Irishwench Quote
Hello l!!

So happy to have found this forum! I was given a complete Pentax Kx and a K7 as a gift from a friend over the summer, and while I like it, I know I'm not doing some things properly and came looking to learn more about them.

I live in the heart of New Orleans, and am often found wandering in the French Quarter with my camera. In fact, when locals see me without it, they think something is wrong! I started with a Fuji back in the day, and slowly worked my way up to a Canon xTi. When it basically died on me, is when my friend gave me my Penatx. I am Semi Pro, and do a lot of events here in New Orleans, as well as a lot of music shots.

I am hoping to learn more about the lenses given to me and what they are capable of, as I've only been working with three. My 18-250 is currently in " stuck " mode..so I've been using my kit 18-55 and my sigma 10-22. I'm not getting the shots I need and I hope to learn a bit more in order to be more consistent in my shots, and to rise to the next level. I have several other lenses, but I really have no clue in what setting some of them would be used, and hope to find more info here about them as well.

Looking super forward to getting to know ya'll!!!
Welcome. You've come to the right place. Folks here are very knowledgeable and helpful.
11-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and congratulations on your bounty!
I'm not sure what kind of shots you are trying to get, but I'll assume from your activities, you are looking towards a telephoto. The new 18-135 gets very good reviews, but I haven't tried it yet. I have the newer non-WR 55-300 lens and it is very good quality. I have the DA 40mm "pancake lens that I recommend you try out, it's so small and yet so sharp, I can't say enough good things about it, and it often stays on my camera for weeks at a time, it's great for street photography.

Pentax owners can use just about any Pentax compatible lens ever made, so if you don't need autofocus, there are a lot of options in manual or manual focus with auto-esposure lenses available in primes and zooms here on the marketplace, and at most resellers I have a fantastic 28-135mm lens that I use very often, a 17mm fish-eye, and I just purchased a 500mm mirror/refractor lens.

I also rent from Borrowedlenses.com, and they have some good Pentax lenses available for very good rates. The lense are listed "for sale" but you can still rent them.

I look forward to seeing your pictures, consider joing the "Single In Challenge" Group here, tons of great advice and inspiration.

11-14-2015, 01:15 AM   #5

Welcome aboard. This is a great spot find the answers you need.
11-15-2015, 02:50 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I really enjoy my time in New Orleans.

My last trip over was in 2005, a couple of months after Hurricane Katrina, the resolve of the people there was just truly amazing after such devastation.
11-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.
11-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone!!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!!

Still exploring and learning.....I did manage to find out that my K7 needed a firmware update and did get that accomplished. It seems to have made my photo's more sharper and much clearer than I was getting before, so that's a huge start for me!

And anytime anyone comes to NOLA...feel free to give me a shout out! I hostess several photo walks a year here, and it's always a blast meeting new people and showing off my city.

11-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I look forward to seeing some pictures soon, especially since I've only been to New orleans once and want to see it from your perspective.