Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

KS2 DSLR Beginner

Hi all,

Came across this forum whilst doing some digging on the Pentax KS2 recently and ultimately it helped me take the plunge and finally buy my first DSLR.

I needed something that was lightweight, compact, durable and weather sealed and the KS2 ticked all the right boxes.

I am picking the camera up on Tuesday and I'm quite excited to begin playing with my first DSLR.

One main reason I wanted a new DSLR this so close to christmas is due to an upcoming trip to Iceland, and whilst on the subject, what are the thoughts on the kit lens for landscape photography? I'll be trying some landscape stuff in the next few weeks before I go but Interested to know what people think, especially in low light/at night.

I used to take personal shots quite alot only uploading a few bits to my flickr from my bridge camera.

I'm sure I'll be uploading pics to my flickr again soon!

Have a good day all

Last edited by Tom S.; 11-15-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: link removed.
11-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy your camera!
11-15-2015, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, a new camera and a trip to Iceland... now that's just too much excitement for one person.
11-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, congratulations on getting that camera! I have some older models, but the K-S2 is really tempting! Like you said, it ticks all the boxes.
Good luck, see you around the forum, and feel free to post a photo in one of the threads (we have lens-specific threads, camera-specific threads, thematic threads, and two subforums dedicated to sharing photos and photo critique). Here is the thread for K-S2 photos in general: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/291490-post-your-k-s2-shots-here.html

11-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax land!

It would help us to help you if we knew which kit lens you got. There are a few potential possibilities. Also, how much experience do you have juggling shutter speeds, apertures, ISO, etc? You might want to buy or borrow a book or two on the topic to read on the journey.
11-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your new KS2! We all envy your upcoming trip to Iceland, and of course would be most appreciative of you posting some of your photos when you return!

Yes, please tell us what lens (lenses) you are getting, so we can be of more assistance with your questions.
11-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.
11-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies!

The lens is:

Collapsible Pentax-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE claims title of world's shortest zoom: Digital Photography Review

The fact it is a WR lens will be useful for the amount of photos I take outside I'm sure!

I got my Bridge camera drenched in Kitzingen Germany on a recent work trip in the evening and it didn't fare too well (still functioning though)!

And yes the missus and I cannot wait for our trip! It's been along time coming.

With regards to juggling iso, shutter, aperture etc. I'm OK at getting the pic I want but guidance will always be appreciated

11-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens is pretty good as a starter, and it's WR so that's great. Just stop it down in good light and you'll be fine. f8 is probably a good sharp setting.