Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

Hi from a Tasmanian Pentaxian

Hi all fellow Pentaxians,

I've been looking on here for a long time now, and finally going to introduce myself. About 4 years ago, my son moved back home after splitting up with his girlfriend. He wanted to buy me a new camera. but was having trouble with my P&S. He wanted to buy me a DSLR, but I didn't want to be bothered with changing lenses, so I bought a superzoom Panasonic Lumix FZ150. He had a Pentax K200D. 10 months later, he bought a Kx cheap as he wanted to do aurora photos, so he gave me his K200D and a 18-55 kit lens & 50mm prime. I have since not used by Panasonic. He then bought me a 28-200 Tamron AF Aspherical XR [IF] f3.8-5.6 Macro for Christmas, but it didn't zoom in enough, so the following year he bought me a Sigma 70-300 Sigma DG Macro f4-5.6 the following year for my 50th birthday.
I now take photos for the photo's sake, instead of mainly for painting references & mainly photograph fungi, so I've been borrowing my son's 28-90 Sigma macro, and just bought a 28-80 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I really want a sharper macro, so I'm tossing up between a Tamron 90mm Macro & a Pentax 100mm WR for Christmas this year, but I've also been looking at newer bodies too...
Thanks for all the info on this site...

Wendy

11-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum...

The 100 wr would be weather sealed along with the body, and a new body would be wr with it as well.
11-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wendelf Quote
Hi all fellow Pentaxians,

I've been looking on here for a long time now, and finally going to introduce myself. About 4 years ago, my son moved back home after splitting up with his girlfriend. He wanted to buy me a new camera. but was having trouble with my P&S. He wanted to buy me a DSLR, but I didn't want to be bothered with changing lenses, so I bought a superzoom Panasonic Lumix FZ150. He had a Pentax K200D. 10 months later, he bought a Kx cheap as he wanted to do aurora photos, so he gave me his K200D and a 18-55 kit lens & 50mm prime. I have since not used by Panasonic. He then bought me a 28-200 Tamron AF Aspherical XR [IF] f3.8-5.6 Macro for Christmas, but it didn't zoom in enough, so the following year he bought me a Sigma 70-300 Sigma DG Macro f4-5.6 the following year for my 50th birthday.
I now take photos for the photo's sake, instead of mainly for painting references & mainly photograph fungi, so I've been borrowing my son's 28-90 Sigma macro, and just bought a 28-80 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I really want a sharper macro, so I'm tossing up between a Tamron 90mm Macro & a Pentax 100mm WR for Christmas this year, but I've also been looking at newer bodies too...
Thanks for all the info on this site...

Wendy
Hello and welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing some wonderful pictures.

Regards,

Tonytee
11-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

Yes the 100mm lens would be the go, if budget constraint then the 90 would be great too. I have the 50 and it does a god job

11-20-2015, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Please tell me you have pictures of the long missing Tasmanian Tiger...
11-21-2015, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Wendy
you have a lovely son, by the sounds of things!
I love my 90 Tammy, but given it can be rather damp in lovely Tas, I'd be opting for the WR of the Pentax if I had the choice.
Look forward to seeing some pics!
11-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard Wendy... Looking forward to seeing some of your work soon.

11-21-2015, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
I recommend the 100mm WR macro, my most used lens and also my sharpest :-)
11-21-2015, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Wendy.

The Tamron 90 and Pentax DFA 100 WR are both excellent macro lenses. See this comparison:
Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
The Tamron is cheaper and has a focus limiter. The Pentax has all-metal construction and weather-resistance (great for damp bush) - the only downside is its price.

Here is a detailed PF review of the DFA 100 WR: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The Sigma 105 macro is no longer made in K-mount, but it is also highly regarded: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-105mm-f2-8-ex-dg-macro.html

If you want a cheaper alternative you could look for one of the previous generation of Pentax macro lenses, like these:
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - ie the previous non-weather-resistant model
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F3.5 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (I think this is a re-badge of the Cosina, which despite its plastic construction produces really sharp images)
SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-A 100mm F4 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - The A series lenses like this offer auto-exposure, manual focus. For true macro, MF is fine, because you tend to focus manually anyway (often by moving the camera back and forth until the subject is in focus).

Each of these lenses turn up second-hand from time-to-time in the marketplace here, or on ebay or gumtree.

There is a saying that there are no bad macro lenses; some are just better than others.

Regarding the camera body, for photographing fungi consider the Pentax K-S2, if your budget runs that far: Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
The articulating screen would be a big advantage when shooting macro low to the ground.

But any of the K-30/K-50/k-500 (basically the same camera), or the K-5 series, or the K-3 would be a worthwhile upgrade from the k-x.

Last edited by Des; 01-13-2016 at 02:09 PM.
11-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Wendy, and welcome This is a great forum (and website in general), as I'm sure you've already found.

As others have said, the D FA100 Macro WR is an outstanding lens. Reviews and technical data aside, you have to try it to believe it. Just be aware that, as a macro lens, it has a long focus throw and some people consider it a little temperamental in the way it can rack back and forth (and not *that* quickly) when focusing. So long as you understand this, I'm not sure there could be a better choice for macro. And as Des has informed you, there are related options that may fit your requirements for less outlay. The basic design, though, is superb.

As a final comment, I would say that the lens is far more important than the camera body in most situations. I used to shoot with a K5 then upgraded some time ago to the K3. While the K3 is capable of better resolution, I *often* find myself using the K5 so I don't have to switch out lenses on the K3. At normal magnification and viewing distances, no-one would really be able to tell which camera body I'd used. So, the investment in a good lens or two is - generally speaking - wiser than investing in a better body alone.
11-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@BigMackCam - right on the money on all points.

I love the DFA 100 too (despite the focus hunting). Very sharp and beautifully built.

11-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, seems like a good son... he keeps buying you new lenses.
12-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Wendelf - what did you decide, Wendy?

If you are still looking for a macro lens, see this one on Gumtree:
Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA smc Macro Lens | Lenses | Gumtree Australia Maroondah Area - Croydon North | 1097305683
(No connecton to the seller, just looks a good buy.)
12-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@Des - those shots prove what an outstanding piece of glass the DFA100 is... nice work
12-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks a lot Mike. It's a superbly sharp lens. I've warmed to it more as a medium tele lens too, not just for macro. Which is to say that I have warmed to 100mm as a focal length.