Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Hello from Oregon

Hello all;
I am rank amateur, so mercy please. I have been reading about how great the Pentax stabilization system is for shaky old
hands like mine, I am too cheap to buy good Nikon glass for my D7000, so I let Adorama put me in the Pentax corral with a
new K-3. Have a number of old M42 lenses so am looking to try them out. It is working....sort of....with help already from this
forum.

Trying to keep files identified by lens as I try them out is a pain since I have not figured out how to get lens ID info even on
the 2 modern Pentax lenses I have. Do I have to set up the camera to get that info saved in metadata?
Anyway, thanks and have mercy on the old guy.

11-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
M42 lenses will not show lens IDs, what are the modern lenses not showing lens ID? Chances are they are older as well. Only F series lenses and later show ID.
Welcome to the forum!
11-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever you enter in the SR focal length will go into the EXIF. If you pick a strange # that's close to your lens FL you can 'mostly' ID which is which; I especially do that with my zooms.
and Welcome from an ex-Portlander now in Longview
11-23-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forums!

11-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome...and the help.
bertwert: Regarding the no Exif data issue: the two lenses which I think should for sure be recognized are
SMC PENTAX-DA1:1.8 50mm and a Pentax DA SMC 18-25Omm f3.5-6.3 ED AL. I guess I just thought it would be more like my Nikon, which
recognizes native lenses just by mounting them. I am stumped, though, with the K-3 because I can't find anything in the menu to set. All I find in
there is a couple of copyright options.

I do have the system working whereby I am prompted to enter focal length for any of the screw mounts. And I get same info from those that I get from
the two lenses above, except that I get actual FL from the zoom. How does one get lens maker and model into the data? Maybe I have to smarten up
my Wiindows 8.1 software?

jimr: I like the idea of choosing odd FL to enter for screw mounts, but the menu only offers set options as far as I can tell. And that setting is used to apply
degree of stabilization, right, so I figured I should not wander too far from real FL.
Oh well, I am leaving in the morning for Thanksgiving. I will of course take all the gear with me and see what I can figure out. Not the end of the world if I never
do get it....I can still take pictures.

Also: any good threads for finding out how to operate all the tricks on the forum?? I have not even figured out how to get an equipment list attached to my post so
that everyone has enough info to cure my ignorance. Thanks again.
11-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by startnL8 Quote
I am rank amateur, so mercy please
Welcome to the forum, I think the last time someone said that... they were swiftly eaten by the membership here.
11-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track.