Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #16

Original Poster
Wow. Tons of great info.

So 1.7 TC is best with the DA* 60-250?

I there a good low light lens that also has some reach? I like shooting wild pigs and they always in super low light and farther away...

11-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Either DA* 60-250 F4 or DA* 300 F4.
Get the 1.4x HD teleconverter - WR, better optical, AF, etc..
The TC makes them a 84-350mm F5.6 and a 420mm F5.6
11-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HuntingRat Quote
Wow. Tons of great info.

So 1.7 TC is best with the DA* 60-250?

I there a good low light lens that also has some reach? I like shooting wild pigs and they always in super low light and farther away...
Definitely not.. it works, but you have to focus close like the lens is an MF lens... and then let the lens do the final focus. I usually just use the 1.4 and accept a smaller subject.
11-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Definitely not.. it works, but you have to focus close like the lens is an MF lens... and then let the lens do the final focus. I usually just use the 1.4 and accept a smaller subject.
Well...Cool. This definitely changes up what I'm thinking about doing now. There's a F* 300/4.5 in the market right now...

11-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well...Cool. This definitely changes up what I'm thinking about doing now. There's a F* 300/4.5 in the market right now...

Apparently sharper than the various 300 f4's.
11-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It may be just me, but I think an evaluation of your technique and expectations should be in order before laying out cash on more expensive lenses. The 300/4 type of lenses are definitely sharper and more capable than the 50-200mm but they are also more difficult to use - the significant mass increase and longer focal length will be more demanding on your support and technique especially if you're hoping to achieve razor sharp results in low light.
12-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It may be just me, but I think an evaluation of your technique and expectations should be in order before laying out cash on more expensive lenses. The 300/4 type of lenses are definitely sharper and more capable than the 50-200mm but they are also more difficult to use - the significant mass increase and longer focal length will be more demanding on your support and technique especially if you're hoping to achieve razor sharp results in low light.
Technique? In regards to how I hold the camera, or how I'm using the settings (eg aperture, shutter speed, WB, EV)? I'm definitely getting better results as I'm learning where the settings need to be. As far as holding the camera, I'm trying to use a tripod when I can, but I hold the camera like my binos and rifles; where I tuck my elbows into my torso and slow down breathing.

My expectations are quite high. I would like to put some of the pictures on canvas and would like the quality to be very good. More importantly, I want to capture what I see, and have pictures look as close as possible to the scene as it was when I saw it. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I'm in the woods, coast, city, generally all over California at all different times of the day and I also want to document some of what I see.

I'm definitely starting to consider how much money I want to lay out. I already dropped my 18-55 and broke the focus, manual and auto doesn't work. I don't want to do that with expensive glass. I'm generally hard on my equipment; I have swarovski binos, expensive archery equipment and what i've noticed is when I cheap out on things they break, and better equipment lasts.

12-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

what i've noticed is when I cheap out on things they break, and better equipment lasts.
Isn't that the way it always is?
12-03-2015, 04:03 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! It is a great place to ask questions and post photos and get criticism (and even some complements sometimes) on your images.

Why don't you follow Norm's suggestion and get a 18-135 or a 16-85 and a top notch tripod/head and practice for a little while. Once you feel like your skill level is really getting there and you are able to capture the photos you want, then look at investing in expensive glass.

All the lenses mentioned are good lenses and will do well, but it does take practice to get the most of your gear.

This was taken with a K-S1 and the kit lens.

This with the K-S1 and the DA 55-300.

There are significantly better lenses than both of those out there, but they worked for the particular moment.
12-04-2015, 06:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Technique? In regards to how I hold the camera, or how I'm using the settings (eg aperture, shutter speed, WB, EV)? I'm definitely getting better results as I'm learning where the settings need to be. As far as holding the camera, I'm trying to use a tripod when I can, but I hold the camera like my binos and rifles; where I tuck my elbows into my torso and slow down breathing.
I mean everything. Figure out what in the chain is letting you down. For example, you've mentioned that your tripod sucks - if it can't provide a solid support for the DA50-200mm, you'll be out of luck with any of the heavier options and buying a big telephoto won't solve anything. Post photos if you ever need help determining what's gone wrong, or suggestions on settings, technique, etc.. we're mostly a friendly bunch.

My expectations are quite high. I would like to put some of the pictures on canvas and would like the quality to be very good. More importantly, I want to capture what I see, and have pictures look as close as possible to the scene as it was when I saw it. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I'm in the woods, coast, city, generally all over California at all different times of the day and I also want to document some of what I see.
Low light telephoto is probably one of the more demanding things you could be doing, especially if you don't have a solid tripod.

I'm definitely starting to consider how much money I want to lay out. I already dropped my 18-55 and broke the focus, manual and auto doesn't work. I don't want to do that with expensive glass. I'm generally hard on my equipment; I have swarovski binos, expensive archery equipment and what i've noticed is when I cheap out on things they break, and better equipment lasts.
The big camera lenses aren't really made to handle falls either. Too bad about your 18-55mm, this does make a good excuse to buy a new lens though. I'm not suggesting you replace your 18-55 with another 18-55 (unless you happen upon a real bargain), but you might want to take a browse through https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/45425-kit-lens-club.html to see the sort of results people are capable of getting with this humble piece of glass.