Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

Looking for synchro flash connector info

Hi all PF readers,

Yesterday, I decided to see if "old stuff" could be used on more recent equipment, without damaging it, of course!

I own a K5ii (2013), a K-01 (2015), a K-100d (2007) and a k1000 film, back from the 198x. I also own a Sigma EF-610 DG Super.

With the use of my k1000, I was using an old flash Starblitz (see photos) and always wonder if it can be used on my DSLR. So, yesterday I decided to give it a shot.

I mounted the flash on my first DSLR, K-100d, knowing that all is manual, of course. It worked great, taking some sample shots in the house. With that confident, I used it on my go-to camera, K5ii, and that was great too.

My question:
What I notice is: the wire from the back of the flash (see pictures).
Is there any information I can get (from the flash to the camera) if I connect it in the synchro flash hole of the K5ii?

I would like to use both flash to create nice effects for portraits (Starblitz mounted and Sigma wireless).
I need to be more familiar (read "faster"... ) with flash setup, which I'am good at, when I have the booklet right next to me. My challenge is to remember all steps by heart, and perform them quickly, when I need to use them.

Thanks in advance for your comment.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
12-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is the sync cable for use on cameras that did not have a hotshoe (spotmatic and its predecessors) or for off-camera flashes by use of an extension cable. Older cameras will have one or two plugs marked FP and/or X. This plugs into the X port. The K1000 has an X port on the flash shoe so the cable is not strictly necessary, but if you set the shutter speed to the X position (1/60) plug the flash cable into the X port and hold it in your hand, it should fire.

I do not think this port exists on the K5 (which I own). If it does, the only order it will transmit or receive is to fire the flash.

Please note also that the trigger voltage of the flash may be sufficient to fry your camera. Unless you know what it is or how to measure it, keep this flash away from your DSLRs. You've been lucky so far. Don't push that luck.

Last edited by pathdoc; 12-06-2015 at 12:22 PM.
12-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Unless you know what it is or how to measure it, keep this flash away from your DSLRs. You've been lucky so far. Don't push that luck.
Welcome to the forum, that's exceedingly good advice from pathdoc, be very aware!
12-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Read it, OP. Read it right now. All of it. Carefully.

12-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies!

You know what? I've heard about that "in the past" (frying the camera) and refrained from trying it. For a reason I don't know, I completely forgot about it.

BUT I know now that it "may" work with a high risk.

Thanks again for the reminder. I will keep it away from my k5ii, as a wisdom advice.
(Lucky me, just as I will need camera gears next week)
12-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!