Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost five years with my K-5 and finally joined

I've been reading a lot of the excellent content of this forum in the past - it helped tremendously with putting together my current equipment. After almost 20 years with manual-focus film SLRs, soon having switched back from zooms to a fine selection of compact classic primes (Zeiss & Pentacon), I finally went digital in 2008. My last roll of Kodachrome 64 was developed only in November 2010 though. I started with an entry-level Canon DSLR, but despite some good results, never really liked the handling and the feel of the lenses, be it adapted or native.

I like to take pictures with (little) available light. Excited when it came out, I bought a K-5 soon after it was released. The combination of SR with nice primes and a superb sensor is not as unique anymore as it used to be. But beside compactness and excellent handling I've come to really value its robustness and WR protection with e.g. the 18-135 attached, which even flawlessly survived being submerged in Lake Washington for a while with me.

Despite landscape/travel, another frequent subject for my Pentax are bees and bee keeping. I feel I still need more practice with lighting, but hope to also get back to my project of building a fast and precise trigger in winter, so that I'm finally able to capture BiF in spring: Bees in Flight.

-- Jens

12-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome - and we'd love to see some of your images soon!
12-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Welcome to the Forum! We definitely would like to see some of your photos; don't hesitate posting them!
12-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.... those old K-5s are hard to part with.... I still have mine.

12-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from another bee enthusiast. I do field macro work documenting native bees and other insects. The K5 and FA100mm f2.8 has been a great combination. I hope to upgrade to a K3II next year, though. You can see some of those images on my Flickr site.

Yes, the K5 is durable, mine is getting pretty beaten up.
12-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum beekeeper. Bee-keeing is certainly getting popular nowadays and its good. I alway meet new bee-keeping enthusiasts in the permaculture groups I sometimes attend.
12-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
welcome!

12-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
12-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
almost 20 years with manual-focus
Welcome to the forum, some of us here to still prefer to do this way.
12-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the warm and encouraging welcome.

With the best intention to share some photos, I must admit that I am fairly confused: Where should they go? I found the explanation of how to post easy enough to follow, but the various (additive?) quotas as well as image size restrictions/guidelines, and the general concept of where to post with which information for which purpose difficult to figure out. I guess I get what a member gallery is for. But why are there all three: User Galleries, the "Post Your Photos!" subforum and "Photo Critique" subforum? Why do they have different "genre" substructures in turn? When do I add to a thread in "Post Your Photos!" vs. create a new one?

Anyway, as an exercise, let me try to link the two which I put up so far, in different ways

and - interestingly with again different options for showing it (why the difference)

12-13-2015, 02:05 AM   #11

Welcome. Wow that the lens survived being submerged in a lake!
12-13-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome from Alabama