Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from England

Hi all.

I'm a 48 year old dad of two boys and live in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear.

20 years ago I spent some time with 35mm as my hobby but gradually that died away although I've always liked taking pictures with compacts and cameraphones. This year upgrading to a Galaxy S6 and getting some positive feedback to some shots on Flickr etc.have rekindled the bug.

I looked at CSCs and Bridge cameras but knew I really wanted a DSLR however a Pentax seemed out of my range. Black Friday at Jessops changed that and the K-S1 was available with the kit lens for £240 instead of £420. It would have been rude not too ! This meant I now have a camera that can use my old manual lenses from my P30t (28-80, 28mm, 80-200) as well giving me a load of options.

I read every review I could on the Pentax and the only negatives really were around its pricing (obviously not an issue for the price I paid) and ergonomics.

Now ive never owned a DSLR or even an autofocus 35mm slr so for me the camera is superb. I have no issues with the handling or controls as someone coming from another equivalent might, in fact I love it.

The only issue is getting outside at the moment, a combination of awful weather and work/family commitments.

in fact ive already added the 35mm F2.4 DA lens to the collection !

I hope to add some decent shots to the site soon

Thanks for reading

Robin Taylor

12-10-2015, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
Hi all.

20 years ago I spent some time with 35mm as my hobby but gradually that died away although I've always liked taking pictures with compacts and cameraphones. This year upgrading to a Galaxy S6 and getting some positive feedback to some shots on Flickr etc.have rekindled the bug.

I looked at CSCs and Bridge cameras but knew I really wanted a DSLR however a Pentax seemed out of my range. Black Friday at Jessops changed that and the K-S1 was available with the kit lens for £240 instead of £420. It would have been rude not too ! This meant I now have a camera that can use my old manual lenses from my P30t (28-80, 28mm, 80-200) as well giving me a load of options.

I read every review I could on the Pentax and the only negatives really were around its pricing (obviously not an issue for the price I paid) and ergonomics.

Now ive never owned a DSLR or even an autofocus 35mm slr so for me the camera is superb. I have no issues with the handling or controls as someone coming from another equivalent might, in fact I love it.

The only issue is getting outside at the moment, a combination of awful weather and work/family commitments.

Thanks for reading

Robin Taylor
Welcome Robin,I am ex Brit living in Canada for past 46 years and we have a bit of bad weather this time of year too.
12-10-2015, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #3

weather

Like this...
Attached Images

12-10-2015, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

12-10-2015, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome. Looking forward to you pics.
12-10-2015, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
12-11-2015, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome from Alabama

12-11-2015, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Excellent start with your post. Let your old flame get more luminous.
12-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all.
12-11-2015, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #10

Hello from across the pond.
12-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It would have been rude not too !
Welcome, it's just Pentax politeness is all, enjoy.
12-12-2015, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Still can't get outside due to torrential rain. So used my old tripod and manual 28-80 Vivitar lens to play with some macro shots.

These plastic beads seemed like a colourful option. There's a few things in the shot i dont like but nice to know a lens that has lived in a bag since 1998 still works !
Attached Images

12-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all.

Thanks for reading

Robin Taylor
Hi Robin - welcome. I'm only a few miles from you, as it happens Congrats on the K-S1 - also on the DA35 f/2.4; one of my favourite lenses

I know what you mean about the weather - today in particular, with a lot of snow and drizzle. Most of my photography has been indoors for the last week or two...
12-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #14

Original Poster
Cheers Mike

Might see you out and about when the weather improves !