Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Might be picking up a Pentax again

Hello all,

Been gone for a while (and didn't really post much of value before heading out as I'd gone to the dark side), but decided to perhaps dip a toe into Lake Pentax once again. Left for Canon years back mainly due to the at the time significant differences in tracking autofocus performance (I like birds/wildlife and it was hard to beat Canon/Nikon). It looks like Pentax has improved quite a bit since in that area.

The past few years have seen me mostly using a 7d+500L for birding, 5d2 + various lenses for almost everything else. But about a year ago I picked up a Leica M8 on a whim, and now I have a decent M9 setup that is my favorite tool in the world. The 5d2 left along with most lenses, though the 7d and 500 remain since they make an outstanding wildlife/birding setup. However I wanted a suitable "jack of most trades" camera, and spent some time shopping around for one. Settled on a Sony RX10 since it seemed to push all the right buttons, but once I had and used it I realized I still don't quite get along with electronic viewfinders no matter how good they are.

So, decided to see what Pentax was up to these days, and spotted the K-5 and K-3 as being seriously nice deals today. Strongly considering getting one with an 18-135 for a solid, weather resistant travel buddy, where I can get autofocus, solid high ISO performance and overall flexibility, something my M9 (lovely as it is) is lacking.

Anyway, wanted to say hello (again) and I'll post once I acquire a K-5 or K-3.

12-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Strongly considering getting one with an 18-135 for a solid, weather resistant travel buddy, where I can get autofocus, solid high ISO performance and overall flexibility, something my M9 (lovely as it is) is lacking.
K-3 or K-3II would be your ticket. I would not recommend the K-5 at this point unless budget is the overriding concern. K-3 has on board flash and the K-3II has on board GPS plus a few other updates but nothing earthshattering,

My wife carries the K-3 plus 18-135 all the time and it delivers nice images in almost all conditions. Add a 50mm prime for low light and you are good to go.
12-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Pentax has improved quite a bit, but for tracking it's still behind FF Canon and Nikons.The hot camera right now for the wldlife guys seems to be the Nikon D750.

I do all my work with a K-3. But I rarely have an opportunity for BiFs. Tracking is still Pentax's weak link.

<Slideshow here>
12-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax has improved quite a bit, but for tracking it's still behind FF Canon and Nikons.The hot camera right now for the wldlife guys seems to be the Nikon D750.

I do all my work with a K-3. But I rarely have an opportunity for BiFs. Tracking is still Pentax's weak link.

<Slideshow here>
Lookin' at your slideshow...Otis says "He doesn't need any damn "tracking"!"

Regards!

12-26-2015, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax too.
12-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Yos
Veteran Member

Welcome back!/Välkommen tillbaka!

Om jag inte minns fel har Cyberphoto.se en bra deal på K-3II hus just nu.
12-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Welcome back!/Välkommen tillbaka!

Om jag inte minns fel har Cyberphoto.se en bra deal på K-3II hus just nu.
Hej! Ser att även Fotokungen har dem, t.o.m. lite billigare (6790). Lutar mot en beg K-3 dock, de ligger bra till prismässigt...
12-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!

12-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Happy holidays.
12-27-2015, 03:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

<Slideshow here>
I've gathered as much and besides the lens itself is why I am keeping my 7D+500L for birding. The 7D is getting old now but still performs admirably and I can rarely blame a missed shot on it.

Put in an offer on a K-3 for sale locally so we shall see if something materializes. The 18-135 looks like a killer "general purpose" lens since it's got a good range and weather resistance, so will probably go with that for starters. Maybe a 35mm or 50mm equiv down the road, but since I have a full lens setup for my M9 (21/35/50/90) there's no urgency. Just looking for something capable and enjoyable for travel, kid photos etc where the M9 doesn't shine.
12-27-2015, 04:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Welcome back! It has been quite awhile, but we've still kept a spot warm at the table for you...

I remember your shots well and I think you'll like the K3 -- not as good tracking as your 7D, but nice in a lot of other ways.
12-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Good to see you back!
01-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, a silver K-5 is on the way now. Found one here in Sweden for 3500 SEK (around 400 USD) including the 35/2.4 and a couple older lenses, with 2200 exposures. Seemed like a nice enough deal!
04-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the K-5 worked fine for a bit, then crapped its pants right before I was heading out on a two week Italy trip (which is the main reason I bought it). Ended up bringing the (ever reliable) M9 + a bag of lenses instead, and living with the limitations (though I got a lot of nice shots!). The K-5 appears to suffer the floppy mirror issue so will see if it's even worth repairing considering repair costs here in Sweden. Not very pleased, but such is life.
04-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No fun having a camera act up like that, especially before a trip where you planned on using it. Curious what the outcome will be.