Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

Back in black (er...white?)

Howdy all and happy holidays!

I've been wanting to try DSLR's for years. Back in the mid-80's I took some photography courses using a K1000 with a Sigma 28-85 (pretty sure?). Did my own processing, dark room work, etc. I never had a single picture worth remembering, but it was a blast. I miss that camera!

But now I'm back in black white. Mrs. Santa was kind enough to indulge me with a used K50 -- white with the kit 18-55. It's got 4.7k shots in its past...is that much? Condition is immaculate from the outside. I love that it looks like a storm trooper (fitting name for a rugged WR camera too, eh? ). I'm already loving some of the pics, but am finding the UI a bit more convoluted than expected. Just wanted to alert you to my presence before I hit the other sections with cries for help. Fair warning!

12-28-2015, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! And prepare to have a blast with that camera. The K50 is terrific.

Lots of folks will be happy to answer your questions as they come up. In the meantime, I highly rcommemd getting the K50 ebook written by one of the members. It's like the manual that *should* have come with the camera to begin with.

Pentax eBook Samples - Columns | PentaxForums.com
12-28-2015, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 5pts4slytherin Quote
It's got 4.7k shots in its past...is that much?
Think of it as car mileage. I always figured 100k miles was when I started to worry. So 4,700 pictures on a k-50 is just about to the first oil change. In other words, practically new.

Enjoy your camera, and welcome!

Ask away if you have questions. A quick search might help as well, trust me if you need to know, it's been asked before
12-28-2015, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you here and may the "Force" be you and your camera.

12-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Welcome! And prepare to have a blast with that camera. The K50 is terrific.

Lots of folks will be happy to answer your questions as they come up. In the meantime, I highly rcommemd getting the K50 ebook written by one of the members. It's like the manual that *should* have come with the camera to begin with.

Pentax eBook Samples - Columns | PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the recommendation and link! I've been hoping to find something just like this, as the manual seems to skim over the surface of the features based on UI layout rather than usage concepts. I've just downloaded it and will dig in shortly. I mentioned you specifically in the "how did you hear about us?" comments (hope that's cool with you). Cheers!
12-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Think of it as car mileage. I always figured 100k miles was when I started to worry. So 4,700 pictures on a k-50 is just about to the first oil change. In other words, practically new.

Enjoy your camera, and welcome!

Ask away if you have questions. A quick search might help as well, trust me if you need to know, it's been asked before
Ha! I almost asked, "How much is 4700 pics in car miles?" You're speaking my language.

---------- Post added 12-29-15 at 08:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, good to have you here and may the "Force" be you and your camera.
And with you and your "ladies" as well!
12-29-2015, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy the K-50, I love mine!

12-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year!