Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Greetings from Oregon.

Hello all.

Earlier today I took the first step to becoming a pentaxian. Pretty excited about it. But it was not easy. After deciding what I could afford, quite a bit of research, and comparing a number of dslr's of various brands, I chose a white K-50 with the 18-135. After making the executive decision I soon found out there was no K-50 to be found locally. Nor any Pentax for that matter. A store 3 hours away in Portland could order one for me and I could pick it up in 2-3 weeks. Amazon advertised what I wanted but was concerned about the warranty seeing that it came from a third party.

Next step, check out Ricoh Imaging website. Lens would have to be back ordered. ?

Head in hands in disbelief I ordered my new camera from B & H Photo. This camera will be used mostly as a travel/walk around camera and it's off to a good start. My new K-50 will be traveling from New York to Oregon before I even see it! Sure hope it's packed securely. On the bright side it cost $100.00 less than the stores around here were quoting me.

Anyway it's good to be here and looking forward to bothering you with questions as I learn the world of the dslr.

Throughout the 80's and early 90's I worked in a couple of photo labs and burned up quite a bit of film. Photography I know. Dslr's I don't. Champing at the bit to learn though.

Again, nice to be here and please do not hesitate to offer ANY advice to this newbie. Thanks.

Dave.

12-30-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Dave,

You'll be glad to know that despite your lack of experience with DSLR's there's been no change to how light works.

I have to travel to Sydney to see a Pentax in a store and I'll not waste my time but just jump online like you did for my next purchase. A shame it's like this, but so long as you get what you seek and get to enjoy the experience of photography again.

All the best mate.

Tas
12-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year!
12-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great start to a nice kit! WR in our climate is pretty important, especially the way this fall/winter have been going. Don't be too cavalier with the WR of that lens - it's very good and I've been in moderate rain with it without concern, but some heavy downpours for a sustained period of time should be avoided.

Stopping down a couple stops, if light allows, will greatly improve the image quality of the 18-135. Color and contrast are always excellent, but sharpness in the corners is helped quite a bit by stopping down.

The sensor in the k50 is pretty amazing - if you shoot in raw (as opposed to jpg), the detail you can lift from shadows is pretty incredible. Protect the highlights (learn to read a histogram) and balance in post processing. If you're familiar with older lenses, try to find some super takumars or older pentax lenses - they are inexpensive, but produce excellent images. I've been playing with an old mamiya sekor m42 lens w/ my Pentax cams and they have a rendering that is a lot of fun.

So much to talk about with that cam, and just about all of it positive. Congrats on your purchase - I'm sure you'll find it an amazing tool for photography.

12-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
12-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and best wishes.
12-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from a fellow Oregonian. I have yet to buy any Pentax gear fom a Portland store, except for an old camera shop where I find old lenses. B&H are very good suppliers and easy to work with on customer service, if needed. Adorama is good, as well.

Enjoy that K50! I love mine and, as a poster above indicated, Pentax weather resistance is very useful here.

Last edited by Kath; 12-31-2015 at 11:52 AM.
12-31-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new "Stromtrooper" once you get your hands on her.

12-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes.

Back in the day when I was active in photography I learned there is a lot of opportunities for amazing images when the weather turns a bit nasty. Living in Oregon the WR offered with Pentax entry level cameras made my choice pretty much a no brainer.

I had always enjoyed manipulating an image in the darkroom and am now amazed at the possibilities available with todays dslr's and PP. Quite the learning curve I have ahead of me but looking forward to it. Becoming a part of this forum I think is a great start. Thanks.