Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #1

Spotmatic F

I still use the first new Pentax that I bought in 1964, an SV. I later added a Spotmatic and a Spotmatic F. I see the the Spotmatic F as its name suggests included metering but I was able to buy one that did not include metering, that is metering was never built in. I can find no reference to this model. Can anyone help?
regards
ken

12-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's bizarre. IIRC the whole point of the Spotmatic F was that it could use the then-new SMC/Super Multi Coated Takumars with their aperture-reporting levers to meter wide open. Not having metering built in defeats the purpose!

You've got the SV, so you're well familiar with M42 Pentaxes that don't have meters fitted, but to have an F like that is weird. I think we're going to need to see pictures to sort this one out. Unless someone put the top plate of an F on one of the pre-Spotmatic bodies somehow (and would that even work???), I can't for the life of me think of what it can be.

First things first - What are you seeing through the viewfinder, when you compare it to the SV and the "plain" Spotmatic? Is it like the SV, or is it like the Spotmatic? And what's inside the mirror box? If it really is an F, there ought to be an arm of some sort which is designed to pick up and read the position of the SMC Tak's aperture reporting lever.
12-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The first thing I thought too was maybe it's just the top plate from a Spotmatic F
I'm assuming it's not the black version of the camera.
12-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

12-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum and best wishes for a Happy New Year.
01-02-2016, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, I can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone 1964...

"Lang may yer lum reek!"
01-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I have a Spotmatic F. Mine definitely includes metering. I'm happy to take pics of mine for you if you want to compare. I haven't shot anything with it in years. I loved that camera though. (Didn't acquire mine until the 90s, but used it quite a bit for years)

01-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! My first Pentax was a Spottie F--new. It metered, and I loved it. It is hard to find one with a working meter now--I think...
01-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I just pulled my Spotmatic out and realized that it still has a roll of film in it! I don't think I've used it in at least 10 years. Guess I've got a project for today - take 12 pictures. No clue if I'm shooting black and white or color, or if the film is still any good. Only one way to find out...
01-14-2016, 03:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
Apologies for posting total rubbish. 😔 I looked at my cameras again. What I thought was a Spotmatic F without metering is in fact an SL. My Spotmatic F of course does have metering as you would expect. I have owned these cameras for about 40 years and have always referred to the SL as a Spotmatic F - just shows how much attention I gave to the detail on the cameras.
All three are in regular use although the metering on the F no longer works. Just shows that if you buy a decent camera it will last.
Ken