Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

hello from Victoria, BC, Vancouver Island

Hello from Victoria, BC, Canada. I am recently retired from being a construction estimator. I have always had point and shoot cameras, but approx. 5 years ago I purchased a Samsung NX10, but this camera was dropped and ruined when loaned out to our daughter for a trip to Africa as part of her nursing training program. After this happened, I went back to point and shoot cameras until I just bought a Pentax K-50 in December, so I am anxious to learn more about photography. We live very close to Butchart Gardens which is an incredible tourist attraction to visit and take pictures at year round. I also like to take pictures of our our two year old grand son, classic cars and flowers such as roses and coleus leaf plants. Victoria is known as the city of gardens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FX35  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FX35  Photo 
01-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. Certainly a beautiful place to live. And grandchildren are the best invention ever. Is that your car?
01-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard. Certainly a beautiful place to live. And grandchildren are the best invention ever. Is that your car?
yes, the car picture is my 1959 Thunderbird. I bought this car on ebay several years ago. The car was originally a Colorado car, but the person I purchased from lived near Chicago. I do not take grand children in this car since there are no safety features like those found on modern vehicles.
01-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nakusp Quote
yes, the car picture is my 1959 Thunderbird. I bought this car on ebay several years ago. The car was originally a Colorado car, but the person I purchased from lived near Chicago. I do not take grand children in this car since there are no safety features like those found on modern vehicles.
It is kind of funny when you get back into those old classics and look around. Hard steel dashboard, no seat belts. No padding. A hundred things to get hurt on in an accident etc. But those big back seats!!!!!!!!!! I was a big fan of bench seats back then too.

As to kids on that car, I agree. When my mother was learning to drive she hit a telephone pole turning into out driveway. I was about 3 or so. I flew through the car cracked the windshield with my head. Luckily I am of German descent and have the skull to prove it.. Last time she ever drove a car.

01-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to PF! A gorgeous city and region, indeed. I was at Butchart about 15 years ago... don't think I appreciated it the way I would now. My Mom's family is from Bellingham, so I'm hoping to get a second chance to see Victoria some time.

In the meantime, please shower us with photos of your city!
01-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
It is kind of funny when you get back into those old classics and look around. Hard steel dashboard, no seat belts. No padding. A hundred things to get hurt on in an accident etc. But those big back seats!!!!!!!!!! I was a big fan of bench seats back then too.

As to kids on that car, I agree. When my mother was learning to drive she hit a telephone pole turning into out driveway. I was about 3 or so. I flew through the car cracked the windshield with my head. Luckily I am of German descent and have the skull to prove it.. Last time she ever drove a car.
I have been a classic car fan all my life and haved owned several. However, driving these cars in stock condition is kind of risky. I installed disc brakes, new brake lines, seat belts and an electronic ignition on my 59 Thunderbird, but even so, I still would never take the grand children out in this car due to safety concerns. Even though the car is very large, this model is quite difficult or awkward to get into due to the wrap around windshield, often called a dog leg windshield. One of our daughters owns a hair salon and has been to New York several times to meet with the Bumble & Bumble hair products company. She loves their trips to NY.

---------- Post added 01-02-16 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Welcome to PF! A gorgeous city and region, indeed. I was at Butchart about 15 years ago... don't think I appreciated it the way I would now. My Mom's family is from Bellingham, so I'm hoping to get a second chance to see Victoria some time.

In the meantime, please shower us with photos of your city!
yes, I will be posting pictures of Victoria sometime soon. We used to enjoy going to Bellingham quite often to shop , like so many Canadians do. However, with the exchange rate on our dollar getting close to 40%, this now discourages many shoppers from making the trip. We are very fortunate to live near Butchart Gardens. We have a yearly pass and take our young grand son to the gardens many times during the year since it's always a great place to spend a couple hours.
01-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, I see that your spoiling your grandchild with toys in the first image.

01-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
Closed Account

Hi nakusp, welcome aboard the forum from Victoria Australia.
01-04-2016, 12:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum and best wishes for a Happy New Year.
01-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
01-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My mom lived in Sydney for a while in a beautiful log house with a view of the ocean. I went out three times in five years, then she moved back to see the grandchildren more. It was just so great having a place to stay out there. My Pentax shots from those days are all film.
01-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #12

Welcome! Nice to have a few Victorians around.
01-04-2016, 10:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My mom lived in Sydney for a while in a beautiful log house with a view of the ocean. I went out three times in five years, then she moved back to see the grandchildren more. It was just so great having a place to stay out there. My Pentax shots from those days are all film.
Sidney is a very lovely place to live, beside the ocean with lots of new residential construction and amenities. Since Sidney is near Victoria airport, there used to be a perception that noise from the jets taking off would be a reason not to move to Sidney. However, during the past 5 or 10 years, people have been very attracted to living in Sidney regardless of air traffic noise, especially after real estate prices in Victoria have sky rocketed.