Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello all.

New to site. Recently purchased a K 50 body, a Pentax 1.4 50mm and a Rokinin 1.4 85mm. Hope to develop the skills needed to pursue portrait photography of family. Looking forward to learning. Buddy

01-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you are off to a good start.
01-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome AH. There is a wealth of knowledge here with long time Pentax users.
01-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi A H Thompson. Welcome aboard the forum. Looking forward to seeing some photographs of the family.

01-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and best wishes for a Happy New Year.
01-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
01-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you are off to a good start.
Any experience with this camera and or lense? Any basic setup tips will be appreciated as I am absolutely new to dslr use. Thanks

01-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Any experience with this camera and or lense? Any basic setup tips will be appreciated as I am absolutely new to dslr use. Thanks
It looks like you have some lenses that you can test with and see what kind of results you can get. I have never had a K-50, but the reviews it has are five star, so it looks like it is a good camera. It has a built in flash which will get you some flash practice with, though it may not serve you as well as something like an AF360FGZ or AF360FGZII or the AF540FGZ or AF540FGZII, The built in flash will at least light your subject. One of those flashes I mentioned would probably boost your practicing options and give you a stable source of light to get results. With the 1.4 50mm and 1.4 85 mm lenses you have, that at least gives you a start where you will be able to shoot at distances that are feasible for portrait opportunities. Maybe starting with your 50mm or 85mm and using natural sunlight may give you a start, positioning your subjects the way you want to have the best lighting. If you get a stronger flash in those cases you can use it for fill flash that is more effective than the built in flash (filling in where the sunlight does not). Also you can do test things with your built in flash indoors, and when you get a more substantial flash you can implement that for more well lit results. There are so many things you can do when you start out. The available lighting is really a key in being able to get the results you need/want. When you have something like for example the Pentax AF360FGZ flash you can set your camera to manual and implement something like an F9 aperture, 200 ISO, and 200 speed exposure to test with, then adjust those settings from there to see what you really like or what is giving you the best image. There are many videos for example in "Bing" on the internet that when you type something like "portrait shooting" or "studio portrait lighting" will give you a large number of videos to select from that will give you setup and different lighting approach information. Aside from flashes, there are also strobe lights that are something like flashes but they are located on stands (usually), and constant lights that are like for one example a 400 watt light that you can use with a white umbrella or a softbox to soften the light when directed toward the subject. Constant lights are usually wall plug in or use a battery. So, you have a lot to look at right now, but just taking that nice shot for example of a family member on the lawn with the best lighting you can get is a start, and you can build on similar experiences like that indoors and outdoors which will give you experience and give you an idea of what equipment you want to advance with if you decide to.

One other thing I wanted to mention. I am not sure if your lenses are K-mount, meaning that they are made specifically for the Pentax DSLR use. If they are and they are AF (autofocus), you will most likely have the autofocus capability with them, which would be nice. If they are AF, make sure you have the camera set for AF to be on. If you have a manual with your K-50, it will tell you the different settings you can use with your AF. If the lenses are manual, then you will be using manual focus. Just be sure the lenses are made to fit your camera (K-Mount) to avoid damaging your camera mount. Also, if you are interested in using one of the flashes I mentioned (Pentax), your K-50 is capable of utilizing them when they are off camera, such as on a stand where you want them. When the camera built in flash is activated it will activate the off camera flash. That way you could use the off camera flash and also have the built in flash on your camera to provide further fill light on the subject if you needed it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-04-2016 at 03:37 PM.
01-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I will add a flash to my list of needs to complete my kit. I have been advised by professional photographer to strongly consider the purchase of a lense with specs similar to her go to Canon 2.8 24-70 zoom lense. Chasing unwilling unable to sit still children with a prime lense will be a chore at best. Pentax of course is now offering that very thing. She advised that I consider that lense or one with a higher f value as a more affordable alternative. She suggested that I could sell the ones I have and go with a 24-70 as my only lense but she agreed that the 85mm even though it is manual focus does indeed have some advantages especially for portraits. Any thoughts?
01-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The 16-50/2.8 will have the same FoV as a 24-70 on a 'Full Frame' camera (which she most likely has). The 16-50 is a good lens. For everday use the 16-85 or 18-135 are great walk-around kits. All three above lenses are WR which when paired with your K-50 makes a nice weather resistant (not waterproof) kit.
01-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I will take a look at these. Can you elaborate on FoV? I am still learning the language and terminology.
01-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

FoV is field of view. How much of the scene you see in your photo.
01-05-2016, 01:40 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I can't help directly with your new camera as I've nothing as modern as that, but others here are giving you lots of good information already.
01-05-2016, 04:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome from Alabama
01-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Thanks for the reply. I will add a flash to my list of needs to complete my kit. I have been advised by professional photographer to strongly consider the purchase of a lense with specs similar to her go to Canon 2.8 24-70 zoom lense. Chasing unwilling unable to sit still children with a prime lense will be a chore at best. Pentax of course is now offering that very thing. She advised that I consider that lense or one with a higher f value as a more affordable alternative. She suggested that I could sell the ones I have and go with a 24-70 as my only lense but she agreed that the 85mm even though it is manual focus does indeed have some advantages especially for portraits. Any thoughts?
For compatibility I recommend that you pursue a Pentax flash when you are ready. The AF360FGZ, AF360FGZII, AF540FGZ, or AF540FGZII will perform on or off of your camera. The AF360FGZ is what I have (I have 3) and it does a great job. The AF360FGZ is on Amazon priced at $159.97 today, the seller is Fun Fun Hobby (Japan), but it is listed as fulfilled and shipped by Amazon itself. The following is the Amazon listing that contains that offer: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-AF360FGZ-PENTAX-Auto-Flash/dp/B000A4ZN3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452094896&sr=8-1&keywords=Af360fgz

The one thing about the AF360FGZ is that its head can be adjusted to bounce at an upward angle and straight up for bouncing light, but not left or right as the others I mentioned can do.

In terms of a lens, the Pentax 16-85 delivers premium images, has a versatile focal range, and along with a flash for very low light capabilities you would not have a problem in most situations. I have one myself that I purchased for portrait capability and long exposure/astrophotography capability. It will give you the silent AF (autofocus) also.

When you invest in Pentax equipment, it will retain its compatibility in almost every instance with new models of Pentax equipment.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-06-2016 at 09:41 AM.